The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm for M9

Christopher

Well I have my 28 and 50. Now I am looking for a 35mm lens. I need it to perform between f4.0 and f11 so I don't really care whether it opens up to 1.4 or just 2.8.

I looked at the Leica option but wanted to ask what else is out there and if somebody already has some feedback with using a 35mm lens on the new M9.

Any thoughts ?

Thx

Terry

Check out the exif on Jono's files. He's actually been shooting with the 35 Summarit in his testing.

Last edited:

Riccis

The 35 cron ASPH is incredible but I assume this has to do with the fact that this lens is an amazing performer.

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually out of all the summarits I tried I liked the bokeh the best from the 35mm summarit. It had a very very smooth transition to the OOF area's, very pleasing. That test is on the forum but you need to do a search it is pretty old. Actually I tested all the summarits against all of there cousins

JWW

What I'm wondering is how the beloved 35mm cron version IV stacks up with the ASPH version or the Lux version with the M9. I sure like it on my M8 and anxious to try out all three on the M9 when I received it.

R

roey

In terms of non-Leica options: I like the CV 35 2.5 Skopar very much on the M8. It is small and sharp (even in the corners). I do not have the M9 yet, so I can't tell how it performs in the corners of a full frame.

archiM44

Regarding the Summicron 35 version IV which I have had alongside the ASPH it performs beautifully on the M8 because the smaller sensor uses the central part of the image.
I suspect that on the M9 edges and corners will be softer.
(I don't have an M9 yet, but that was my experience on Kodachrome)
Maurice

bradhusick

If you're getting a black paint M9 then you really need my 35 cron asph black paint lens to match!
-Brad

Paratom

Hard to say.
IMO the 35 Summilux has a very nice drawing and Bokeh from what I saw in images posted in the net.
The 35lux-asph is quit sharp and has a nice contrast without being clinical, and also a nice bokeh. Many samples seem to have focus shift which makes it hard to control them.
The full frame sensor means even shallower DOF wide open so I am not sure if one can really take advantage of this lens (because its just to hard to predict where to focus at which f-stop)
Thats why I havent used mine much.

Then there are (older ) 35crons - very small size, good image quality, wide open maybe not as sharp and contrasty as asph lenses. Some can not be coded-but with the M9 thats less of a problem since you can set it manually (you should not forget it though)
I will experiment with my 35cron on the M9-I really like the small size and f2.0 might be fast enough for me.

And then the 35cron asph. Probably the safest way to go - good compromise regarding size, price, drawing, and as far as I know no focus shift problems.

If I had to buy a new lens today I would first check how the 35 Summarit performs on full frame, and if 2.5 was fast enough for me. If yes I would go Summarit, otherwise I would go for a 35cron.

IF (and thats the big question for me) one can master the 35lux_asph (or if there are samples without focus shift) than it would be a great lens, but IMO with the FF-sensor f2.0 or ven f2.5 should be fine as well.

Christopher

thx for all the input, any reports on some Voigts or Zeiss lenses on the m9 ?

At least I still have two weeks to find my perfect lens ^^

wjlapier

I'm a huge fan of the 35mm Cron ASPH. Definately one of my favorite lenses. Sharp with great color and snap. :thumbup:

Here is a picture that I realy think exemplifies the 35 Cron ASPH:

M9 with 35mm Summicron ASPH, ISO 160, 1/1000th at f/4.8

If you want to see more, check out my blog for lots of M9 samples, many with the 35.

Good luck.

David
That's a beautiful shot. I just purchased the 35 cron ASPH and should have it in a day or two.

woodyspedden

Hard to say.
IMO the 35 Summilux has a very nice drawing and Bokeh from what I saw in images posted in the net.
The 35lux-asph is quit sharp and has a nice contrast without being clinical, and also a nice bokeh. Many samples seem to have focus shift which makes it hard to control them.
The full frame sensor means even shallower DOF wide open so I am not sure if one can really take advantage of this lens (because its just to hard to predict where to focus at which f-stop)
Thats why I havent used mine much.

Then there are (older ) 35crons - very small size, good image quality, wide open maybe not as sharp and contrasty as asph lenses. Some can not be coded-but with the M9 thats less of a problem since you can set it manually (you should not forget it though)
I will experiment with my 35cron on the M9-I really like the small size and f2.0 might be fast enough for me.

And then the 35cron asph. Probably the safest way to go - good compromise regarding size, price, drawing, and as far as I know no focus shift problems.

If I had to buy a new lens today I would first check how the 35 Summarit performs on full frame, and if 2.5 was fast enough for me. If yes I would go Summarit, otherwise I would go for a 35cron.

IF (and thats the big question for me) one can master the 35lux_asph (or if there are samples without focus shift) than it would be a great lens, but IMO with the FF-sensor f2.0 or ven f2.5 should be fine as well.
I love my 35 Lux. I tested a number of these lenses and found the silver chrome version had almost no focus shift. Later posts by others at this forum confirmed my finding on the value of the silver chrome version. So, imho, if you can find a good quality silver chrome 35 Lux you will very much enjoy it

Woody

cam

I love my 35 Lux. I tested a number of these lenses and found the silver chrome version had almost no focus shift. Later posts by others at this forum confirmed my finding on the value of the silver chrome version. So, imho, if you can find a good quality silver chrome 35 Lux you will very much enjoy it
i love you, Woody, but i think there are some gems to be found in the black ones as well -- as long as they are calibrated correctly. i adore my 35 Lux to death! whilst i have other smaller 35 lenses, but this is the one i always seem to take with me, regardless of f/stop i'll be shooting at. it is a perfect day for night, a one lens solution.

as awesome as it is on the M8, i just saw a shot from it on the M9. i feel kind of stupid liking this lens as much as i do when i'm using it on the R-D1 or the M8 -- when i saw it full frame, i realised that's where it truly shone.

Terry

thx for all the input, any reports on some Voigts or Zeiss lenses on the m9 ?

At least I still have two weeks to find my perfect lens ^^
I loved my cv35 color skopar (f2.5) on the M8 and I know Tim Ashley is a big fan of this lens. I read a post from him over at LUF that it seemed soft in the corners on the M9 (but I have no idea at what apertures). Might want to shoot him a PM (tashley - on both sites).

bradhusick

If you're buying an M9 you presumably care about image quality. Why use anything less than a Leica lens on it? I know they're more expensive, but many good used lenses are available at reasonable prices. In my experience, every time I tried a Zeiss or Voigtlander lens I felt like I was compromising, and eventually bought a Leica to replace it. The only exception was the CV 12 since there's no Leica substitute.

Christopher

Well, because I have no proof so far that any Leica lens will perform better. At least on the M8 some Voigtl. lenses which cost less than half than some leicas and perform better ^^
I will certainly look for all different opinions in net next couple of days.

deepdiver

Leica Summilux 35/1.4 is so expensive....
I can't afford it right now, that is why I want to buy voigtlander 35/1.4 first, then after I have enough money, I will get the summilux :)
I want to see some example from it.

thx