The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D-lenses designed for Leica R10?

M

Michael B. Elmer

Just a funny but interesting thought:

Leica R-lenses can be used on Leica Digilux 3 by way of an adapter.

The format of Leica D is half that of a full frame, so a Leica D 3,5/14-50 vario lens correspoinds to a 28-100 lens in full frame.

We also know that Leica will introduce R 10 at Photokina 2008 or at least give a clue of it. We also know that it will be a full frame (or more?) camera, and that a new line of lenses with autofocus will be launched as well.

So: here is my question: Could Leica D-lenses with just a few alterations be used on Leica R 10. In that case, Leica would already have a 28-100 mm zoom lens for the R 10 and a 1.4/50 mm lens, and we would already know those lenses.

Could anybody elaborate further on this or is it only stupid speculation?

jaapv

Subscriber Member
In a lens designed for a smaller format, the circle of coverage is also smaller. So you would have no corners....

M

Michael B. Elmer

In a lens designed for a smaller format, the circle of coverage is also smaller. So you would have no corners....
Yes, I understand that - but are those lenses designed exclusively for the D-format - or are they really designed with the R10 in mind?

To illustrate my way of thinking: On the M8, the M 21/2.8 asph works like a 28/2.8 asph, because of the multiplication factor (1.33 x FL).

The format of the sensor in the Leica D is half of full frame. The 14-50 mm lens thus corresponds to a 28-100 lens on the 35 mm format, i.e. on the analogue R9.

My question, thus, is: Could it be that the D-lenses are in fact designed for Leica R, so that they could with another mount be used on the R10?

From a design and production point of view, that would make sense for a small company like Leica.

But of course, one has to possess a D-lens to evaluate this possibility. I do not.

Robert Campbell

The format of Leica D is half that of a full frame, so a Leica D 3,5/14-50 vario lens correspoinds to a 28-100 lens in full frame.

We also know that Leica will introduce R 10 at Photokina 2008 or at least give a clue of it. We also know that it will be a full frame (or more?) camera,
The 14-50 would remain a 14-50 on full format - or any format. But it's designed for a much smaller sensor, therefore would only 'fill' the centre of FF. It may act as if it was 28 - 100 on FF, but this is equivalent field or angle of view - it cannot change from being 14 - 50.

Full frame lenses have an image circle of about 43 mm - the diameter of FF. The 'largest' sensor which would work with these lenses is about 30 x 30 mm.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Yes, I understand that - but are those lenses designed exclusively for the D-format - or are they really designed with the R10 in mind?

To illustrate my way of thinking: On the M8, the M 21/2.8 asph works like a 28/2.8 asph, because of the multiplication factor (1.33 x FL).

The format of the sensor in the Leica D is half of full frame. The 14-50 mm lens thus corresponds to a 28-100 lens on the 35 mm format, i.e. on the analogue R9.

My question, thus, is: Could it be that the D-lenses are in fact designed for Leica R, so that they could with another mount be used on the R10?

From a design and production point of view, that would make sense for a small company like Leica.

But of course, one has to possess a D-lens to evaluate this possibility. I do not.

No. The basic design might be similar, but the dimensions of the barrel are too small, correction would be different - a different lens altogether for the larger format.

Lens design is a highly complicated art that has no one-size fits-all type of solutions.

Last edited: