The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using the 135apo at the US Open

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The first elena shot isn t perfect ...it is a 90% of the original and was sharpened(no fill used). The 2nd elena shot is dead on (but didn t illustrate the thread as well). If you look at the shots on my website (click on the thumbnail twice to see full screen) you will be able to see the exact point of focus. A few of the 75 summicron shots are perfect.

These are straight LR conversions using the standard preset for sharpening.

The degree of difficulty in using the M for this type of action exceeds the benefit. Its beyond the range of focusing precision and requires anticipation as well as range focusing. But what was surprising to me was (1)that any images with the 135 would be critically sharp and (2) how much the practice would translate into better focusing skills on the shorter M lenses.

The other subject worth mentioning is the US Open itself. This is a spectacular event with substantial shooting opportunities in itself. Maybe I know tennis too well and I can see the stories on the side courts. When I get a few minutes later I will post a few that show the impact of injuries on the junior level girls tennis.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Roger, browsing through the gallery is a very nice experience and gives a much different feeling of the event than one normally sees from tennis shots, most likely due to your positions and use of the M.

fultonpics

thanks roger. i can't imagine using a leica m at a pro tennis event, but you have some how mastered it. just shooting back lit would be hard enough not to mention focus. your shots are great and maybe i'll see you around a tournament sometime!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
In all fairness ..you should know that the shadow picture has been done 000 s of times at the US Open. The stadium is extremely steep and the angle of the sun is at this point almost on the button 4PM on a clear day. Because of this all the real pros leave the pit area at about this time and come up to the cheap seats. The shadow picture was taken from my actual seat which I bought for this purpose.

No other tennis stadium is of this scale so the image looks unique. One of the reasons I enjoy the US Open .

Lloyd

In all fairness ..you should know that the shadow picture has been done 000 s of times at the US Open. The stadium is extremely steep and the angle of the sun is at this point almost on the button 4PM on a clear day. Because of this all the real pros leave the pit area at about this time and come up to the cheap seats. The shadow picture was taken from my actual seat which I bought for this purpose.

No other tennis stadium is of this scale so the image looks unique. One of the reasons I enjoy the US Open .
Regardless, it's just flat a great shot!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
F8 and be there:D its 4 52pm and the finals are on TV live...the court is now covered in a shadow. So that light lasts maybe 10-15minutes.

woodyspedden

Thought you might enjoy seeing the M8 and the 135apo used to shoot tennis. More shots at my website...the images are up but some need to be reworked a bit .
Roger

Either you have gotten really better with these shots or Carolyn is filling in for you on the tough stuff.

LOL Best Woody

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger

Either you have gotten really better with these shots or Carolyn is filling in for you on the tough stuff.

LOL Best Woody
Do you know how much easier this would have been with her D90? We shot two weddings this summer and Carolyn was the 3rd photography. She had more captures than I did ? Plus she does movie clips and cranks out a DVD with her images and video in a day.