The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

09/09/09 webcast now on line

T

Thawley

Their PR person should be shot for scheduling that event 3 hours before Apple's annual Christmas gadget update fest.

T

Thawley

Maybe, but it's not like those invites don't happen at the same time every year.

Terry

So, you are are a PR firm helping launch an M9 why would you not do it on 9/9/9 at 9AM ????

T

Thawley

Because my client should care more about media penetration than irony. Or symmetry. Because I want a clean news cycle where my product news is the only one feeding the press at that time. Because I don't have Apple's budget and cannot compete with it on a level playing field. Because I want to see the message broadcast beyond the Leica faithful who are going to hear it anyway. Because I'm doing a webcast with the advantage of flexibility and last minute changes that renting a convention hall does not.

Reasonable minds may differ. I think Leica was preaching to the choir. To be sure, that must also be done. But in this economy, I would be focusing more on evangelism to the unsaved masses. Filling the pews with fresh soles...

Opportunity missed IMO.

beamon

Maybe, but it's not like those invites don't happen at the same time every year.
Every year is a fresh slate. First come first served imo. Most of the reasons you advance are right for a giant, like Apple. However, the niche aspect of Leica's market is beautifully served by their method for the announcements. I doubt, seriously, that Leica had any impact on Apple.

Is it possible that pews filled with souls would have no soles? ;)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The Seal part of the presentation was outstanding. Attached a poor image of the B+W image He presented. Couldn t find it in the video and thought some may like it.

Terry

I really liked the two shots you could see in the webcast. One was of one of the kids catching or throwing a huge ball with another child in the background. The other looked like Heidi doing some makeup work in the car visor mirror.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
His family portfolio images are as good as I have seen anywhere...and really demonstrated his point "leica is a part of his life". Plus they were feel good images ...someone did a good job in getting him into the presentation.

Where is that UPS guy with my M9s ? :D

T

Thawley

I doubt, seriously, that Leica had any impact on Apple.
No, indeed not. The end users are different markets. The tech-gadget media who serves them – on the other hand – can accommodate some overlap. No tech journo with a pulse could afford to overlook Apple's announcements. But it would have been nice to see Leica's new product announcements reach beyond the regular photo tech media. Wired & Fast Company in addition to robgalbraith & dpreview...

Is it possible that pews filled with souls would have no soles? ;)
Got me.