The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IR use on the M9?

ampguy

I love the M8 for IR (pseudo - Hoya R72 filter) work, used it yesterday and posted some samples on my blog.

Am curious how the M9 with .3mm thicker IR absorption glass over the sensor will now work for IR use?

Would be interesting to see a side by side of how they render an ir remote control for example.

V

Vivek

I am confident that the M9 would be useful for IR (and UV).:thumbup:

ampguy

I think so too. Would be nice however, since there are a couple of folks with both cameras, if they could do some quick snaps through an R72 filter at same exp. w/ same lens.

F

FrankSmith

Maybe I've missed something, but isn't one of the selling points of the M9 that it dosn't need those IR cut filter like the M8 did cause the cut filters are built into the sensor.

ampguy

Hi Frank,

I'm referring to the usability of the M9 vs M8 for specifically taking IR photos. The M8's "issue" with the filters, allowed great handheld IR photography. I have some examples on my blog.

Maybe I've missed something, but isn't one of the selling points of the M9 that it dosn't need those IR cut filter like the M8 did cause the cut filters are built into the sensor.

V

Vivek

The M9, perhaps, is similar to the Nikon D70 when it comes to IR response.

Like D70, M9 does not need IR cut filters but the would show some IR response.

I would expect ~ 1 stop less IR sensitivity relative to M8.

ampguy

Seems reasonable Vivek,

For me, that would put me right on the border of handheld and needing a tripod.

The M9, perhaps, is similar to the Nikon D70 when it comes to IR response.

Like D70, M9 does not need IR cut filters but the would show some IR response.

I would expect ~ 1 stop less IR sensitivity relative to M8.

JSK Rangefinder

I love the M8 for IR (pseudo - Hoya R72 filter) work, used it yesterday and posted some samples on my blog.

Am curious how the M9 with .3mm thicker IR absorption glass over the sensor will now work for IR use?

Would be interesting to see a side by side of how they render an ir remote control for example.
Very nice!

I particularly like:

"another IR photo: M8, 50/1.4 @ 1.4, 1/500, ISO 640."

and

"late summer leaves: Taken with M8, Summilux 50/1.4 with R72 IR filter @ f1.4, 1/22, ISO 640."