The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Removed my UV/IR Filters - now what?

gDallasK

I've now removed all my UV/IR filters from my lenses for use on the M9. However, I have a prefence for using filters to protect the front element of my lenses (particularly when they are Leica -price). But I've read comments from others who believe that this compromises ultimate performance.

What are other M9 early adopters planning? Filters or not?

John Black

I agree with Lloyd on this, hang on to a couple IR filters for now. IR has been reduced in the M9, but not eliminated. There might still be need for the IR filters.

Double Negative

Not Available
Leave the UV/IR filters on - they'll work great with the M9, aside from the usual complaints in darker conditions with point light sources... But as mentioned above, the M9 has not totally solved the IR problem.

If you want real filters, get yourself Heliopan SH-PMC or B+W MRC "486" filters. Much better quality on all levels. If you prefer, you can ditch the IR part and just get regular UV filters.

bradhusick

According to Sean Reid, remove your IR filters for any lens shorter than 75mm or you will get cyan corners on the M9.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Actually, I tend to use these filters on any digital camera, if focal length permits. The colours are better.