The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sean Reid Threatening TOP with a Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Robert, I thought 'TOP' meant the Leica company owners!:ROTFL:

Stunts.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
TOP seems quite reasonable in the post - the SR lawsuit threat seems a bit of overkill and I would suspect that'll backfire on Sean. I see no reason to question my subscription to ReidReviews though because of it.

I'm sure this ego storm in a tea cup will all fizzle out pretty quickly.

bavanor

I find this very ridiculous. I see no reason for an apology from TOP and no reason why Micheal Reichmann or Sean REid should be reacting this way.

What I do know is I was thinking about subscribing to Reid Reviews, but I am not going to now.

F

FrankSmith

Perhaps Reid has made so much money from new subscribers wanting to read his M9 review that he thinks he can afford to stuff TOP with a lawsuit.

stephengilbert

At the risk of Sean suing me for saying this (although I do have an attorney), I think his threatening to sue TOP is as off base as his apparent misunderstanding of the basis for the criticism of the various recent reviews re the M9. People who don't seem to understand that a reviewer's connection with the product reviewed (whether based on an ongoing commercial relationship or on the receipt of "perks") is relevant to his or her review, and is a fair subject for comment, shouldn't make public pronouncements on issues of interest.

I haven't read any libel cases lately, but I seriously doubt that criticism of reviewers, even of their apparent conflicts of interest, made in public forums could possibly form the basis for a successful lawsuit. Reviewers publish their views with the goal of communicating their opinions. Is it Sean's view that criticism of him is out of bounds? Unless someone intentionally lies about them, I don't think reviewers have any legal claim.

btrancho

Go over to the Rangefinder Forum and read the reaction to this and you'll have to conclude that Sean now has to sue himself for causing a major amount of negative blowback on this. There are very few, if any, posts in support and many say they'll drop or stop consideration of subscriptions because of his threat.

Come on Sean, take a deep breath and calm down.

V

Vivek

The is a 91 post thread at LUF about this do we really need to rehash it here?
Terry, now it (started by the party himself, I believe) is at 94th post..

Thanks for pointing that out.

I think what I initially thought was correct.

Stunt. :ROTFL:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
First,

Let me say that I respect Sean's reviews...they are well written and thought out. Not many places have as well reasoned reviews ... as an example his deferring the S2 review until September as his exposure to the camera was not adequate to evaluate all that he normally considers.

My bailiwick in this instance has more to do with the continual coarsening of interchange on the web...it seems to be an ever ending spiral downwards. Of course that is why many of us seek shelter here. Why is it necessary to threaten or actually undertake legal redress when the other party has lost a bit of their public standing already.

I was unaware of a major trespass on the part of MJ from TOP...however his apology seemed genuine and really leaves RR with a quandary. Largess in accepting the apology engenders a lot of public favor...fractiously seeking redress may not.

Personally, I am so tired of the litigious culture that has evolved in our present social and political climate that I tend to regard this as a ominous blot on all those involved.

Let me apologize for the length of this rant in advance.

Bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of second third or maybe even fourth party opinion.
The point is that Sean is pissed. Our legal system does not require anything more than a filing fee to raise a suit. The test is whether or not it sticks.
Time will tell.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Uh, what does this have to do with photography?
We don't have a legal issues forum here nor do we have a dog in this fight.
Lets cool it before we have to defend ourselves.
-bob

RonSmith

Merely being pissed off is rarely sufficient to survive a motion for summary judgment in a defamation suit.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Before this gets out of hand, I am closing this thread.
As they say "without prejudice"
-bob

Status
Not open for further replies.