The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 users review coming

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just let the forum know that Leica is sending me a M9, 24 lux, 35 cron, 90 summarit and 135mm apo to test from Thursday to Monday or so. I actually have a all day and night golf tournament Friday that I will use the M9 for plus some other shooting and testing. I will keep you all updated on my findings. Really look forward to having a M in my hands again but I know this will lead to a lot of GAS. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Guy,

That's great! Look forward to seeing your report and images. Like what Roger mentioned in the other post, I am also very interested in your take on the high ISO and noise performance of the M9. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Guy Mancuso

Looking for one for the ISO test. Also looking for a extra battery not sure they sent a extra. I have IR filters . LOL

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Look forward to seeing the results, Guy.

Certainly would be nice to here an update as to US availability of the M9 ... the dealers are kind of quiet.

Guy Mancuso

Really I can ask on that. I remember with the M8 shipments came in from Germany on Mondays or Tuesdays and after customs leica would send out to dealers 2nd day air and most of them hit the stores Thursday or Friday. I don't know there backlog is though. Maybe David can answer this better since he is a dealer.

Are there none by all our known sources.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I talked to Alex at Popflash earlier today and he mentioned that the first cameras they get might not come in until next week. Their list is over 50 and that means delivery for those at the bottom of the list will be around January at current shipping rates.

Last edited:

JSK Rangefinder

I talked to Alex at Popflash earlier today and he mentioned that the first cameras they get might not come in until next week. Their list is over 50 and that means delivery for those at the bottom of the list around January at current shipping rates.
Exactly what I was told about my M9s

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Look forward to seeing the results, Guy.

Certainly would be nice to here an update as to US availability of the M9 ... the dealers are kind of quiet.
I talked with Camera West today and Michael said the first wave this weekend or next week would be very small, maybe not enough for all of the dealers but subsequent deliveries in the weeks after should be larger. No numbers.

Guy Mancuso

Did not realize of that type of backorder. Yuks! Looks to be a hot seller for them. 18mpx does hit the spot. Seriously if this came out first than the M8 I maybe still shooting it. I needed more than 10 mpx

Guy Mancuso

I talked with Camera West today and Michael said the first wave this weekend or next week would be very small, maybe not enough for all of the dealers but subsequent deliveries in the weeks after should be larger. No numbers.
That is good to hear. I do like that there is shipping after announcing. Stole a page from Apple. Hopefully they can fill the immediate demand, that is always the hard part.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
A few facts I picked up along the road. The inventory at launch 09/09/09 was about 1000 bodies. (good source) . I can not remember the share the US market but a good guess would be 30% so the US market gets 300 in the first wave.

Standard shipping protocal is a container on friday from germany arrives monday in US . Clears customs and arrives in NJ on tuesday late or wed.

Container now has to be checked in and repackaged for shipment to dealers . Same 3 guys in the shipping department....how fast do you think they can do this.

A good bet is that they got a very small shipment last week to supply to special cases(like Guy and Riccis) . So spread out 250 across the US .

Assume 1000 month production level but maybe still in start up so say another 2500 thru year end. This synchs with Popflash s estimate of a list of 50 and delivery next year.

Guy Mancuso

Guy, I'm interested in what you think of the 24 lux combo.
I'm really looking forward to trying this lens. They sent a viewfinder with it also. I get it thursday so give me some time to figure it out but this job I have to do is not critical to clients needs but more what I want to shoot so I can play a little more without covering myself if you know what I mean. Gives me a chance to shoot some wide open stuff and push the ISO around some. Things we face in the field so hopefully different than what others technically did already.

Guy Mancuso

A few facts I picked up along the road. The inventory at launch 09/09/09 was about 1000 bodies. (good source) . I can not remember the share the US market but a good guess would be 30% so the US market gets 300 in the first wave.

Standard shipping protocal is a container on friday from germany arrives monday in US . Clears customs and arrives in NJ on tuesday late or wed.

Container now has to be checked in and repackaged for shipment to dealers . Same 3 guys in the shipping department....how fast do you think they can do this.

A good bet is that they got a very small shipment last week to supply to special cases(like Guy and Riccis) . So spread out 250 across the US .

Assume 1000 month production level but maybe still in start up so say another 2500 thru year end. This synchs with Popflash s estimate of a list of 50 and delivery next year.

Just adding to Rogers here. Good info BTW
They try to ship out of NJ to dealers late tuesday and wednesday if it clears customs quickly . They do ship 2nd day air always , so this week maybe a few hopefully thursday or Friday for those expecting them. How they distribute to each dealer is unknown but they do try to spread it out. Maybe the old name in the hat trick. LOL

The one being sent to me is either one from the press pool/demo/loaner type . But never a brand new one out of the box, so no I am not getting a delivery unit so that does not affect buyers.

mwalker

Subscriber Member

That makes sense....one would think they would have a larger back log for initial shipment... say 2500 ready to go.:confused: