The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripods and Ball heads

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the Gitzo catalog, the 2540LVL looks pretty interesting.
Does anybody have any experience with the Gitzo leveling tripods?
thanks
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bob:

I have a leveling head for my 3-series pod. I really like it, but found it un-necessary when I got my Arca Cube head, so I removed it. It's definitley a handy feature for use with regular ballheads IMO and allows you to level the camera quickly.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
I have the leveling head for the Series 3 systematic that I use from my home base.
I am toying with the idea of a series 3 with a leveling feature as a travel alternative.
How do you think that the cube would fit on top of a series 2 or is it too large or heavy?
thanks
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
I have the leveling head for the Series 3 systematic that I use from my home base.
I am toying with the idea of a series 3 with a leveling feature as a travel alternative.
How do you think that the cube would fit on top of a series 2 or is it too large or heavy?
thanks
-bob

I don't think the one for the 3,4,5 series will fit the 2 or 1 series. On the newest 1 and 2 series leveling pods, the bowl is built-in...

The 3 series is probably ideal for the Cube, the 2 series is probably okay but maybe a bit small-ish --- the Cube weighs in at about 2 pounds, so I keep a lightweight ballhead on my 2 series...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
The 3 series is probably ideal for the Cube, the 2 series is probably okay but maybe a bit small-ish --- the Cube weighs in at about 2 pounds, so I keep a lightweight ballhead on my 2 series...
Do you think the cube would be too much for a 1540?
I was using the BH-40 on it and it seemed just about perfect.

Actually, the 1540's leg locking mechanisms are so good it's making me want to upgrade my 1325 legs.

Terry

Gitzo's compared

Following the advice here and some Q&A with Guy and Jack I just went to B&H to pick up a new tripod to get christened in Moab. I bought the Gitzo 2541L.

Here is my take on the different models. I did some advance research and concentrated on these:

1550T (traveler)
1540T (traveler)
2541L

1550 - tripod legs can flip 180 degrees so you can fold them around the ball head for protection. Very light. BUT - 5 sections of legs and the bottom ones are thinner than my pinky finger. I don't think this tripod is sturdy enough and IMHO I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting really expensive gear on it. Tripod is very short fully extended. Even with center column extended (which I was advised against) you will be bending over a lot to frame your shots. $640 (includes ballhead)

1540T - four leg extentions but even shorter. Didn't actually see this one. $560

1540 - nice but just about at eye level fully extened without center column really raised and I am only 5'5". However the legs didn't reverse like the traveler. Felt reasonably sturdy. Significantly sturdier than the 1550T. $535

2541L - the few extra inches when tripod at full height felt significantly better to me. The small wieight difference really didn't feel like a problem at all. Seems much sturdier with each equivalent leg being slightly larger on the 2540 than the 1540. The clincher was collapsed it is maybe and inch or two longer than the 1540. $640

This past summer I started using a tripod in the city doing some night shooting. The max height of the tripod I was using was just about 59". There were numerous instances that I really wanted to go higher to get something out of the frame (bushes, railings, fences etc.). My advice get a tall tripod! It also is much easier on your back.

Now off to order the ball head and quick release plates from Really Right Stuff.

Hope this helps someone who can't get to a store to see the different models.

terry

jonoslack

Well we have the bags and straps . Let's talk about the real important stuff . Tripods and Ball heads . i know no M shooter should be using tripods. :D
As you say, no M user should be using tripods and ball heads.

My Tripod:

two legs
head (usually wedged against tree trunk / post etc.)

:p

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Did we mention the Leica table top tripod . Small enough to fit in your back pocket well almost but you can use it as a chest pod too. Works a charm and gives you about 2 stops or more on the shutter

D

Digital Dude

I have a very cheap Silk U6600 tripod that cost me 35-bucks and it’s quite adequate for those occasions when I use it in my home for on-line postings. Likewise, it’s remarkably stable for use with the M8.
Regards,:thumbup:

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Re: Gitzo's compared

1550 - tripod legs can flip 180 degrees so you can fold them around the ball head for protection. Very light. BUT - 5 sections of legs and the bottom ones are thinner than my pinky finger. I don't think this tripod is sturdy enough and IMHO I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting really expensive gear on it. Tripod is very short fully extended. Even with center column extended (which I was advised against) you will be bending over a lot to frame your shots. $640 (includes ballhead)

terry
I have this tripod and really like it. I take it everywhere because it is so small and light. I think it is sturdier than it looks (I agree about not extending the center column). I have heard that it can support a man leaning on it. The included ballhead is not very useful and I replaced it with a better ballhead. I am 5'9" and I don't feel that I have to lean over too much.
I have used it extensively with the M6 and M8 with lenses as heavy as the 75 lux.
I can understand why someone would be skeptical by looking at those thin legs, but it does work well. Most of the time I don't extend the thinnest leg section.

PeterA

I have learned a lot from peopel posting their preferences re bags/tripods and other gadgets and gizmos - for example I have often thought I'd liek a 'bespoke suit' for my M8 from Luigi - buthave never got around to it..

After seeing Cindy's Luigi case in a thread I want exactly the same one for Christmas - similarly, I like Jack's camera bag set-up - the pictures are very helpful as well.

So just a quick thanks to people who post shots illustrating their gear choices and links etc - it is very helpful.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I also use the same bags as Jack. Yes i copied it and darn proud of it too. LOL

Going to get mine embroidered with GetDpi workshops logo on it

D

Digital Dude

With my bag in tow, I’ll be standing along side the road with a cardboard sign “Disabled Vet – will work for camera gear”. Actually, I’m still waiting for my b-laika to arrive.
Regards,

vieri

Though I still didn't use a tripod when using the M8 (of course... LOL :D) I do own a Gitzo 1257 with a Markins head, L-plates for my D2xs and a M8 plate which - as I said - still didn't see any use... Love Gitzos, coming from Manfrotto tripods they are IMHO on a different league - not than Manfrottos are bad, of course.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't need a tripod it only means that you don't see the early pre-light which means that you don't ever see the fresh new day just prior to its searing birth sending daggers of light across the firmament..

I'd rather carry a tripod than miss that.
-bob

Anything that is faster than 4 seconds at 160 iso and f4.0 seems like an unusually fast exposure to me now, sort of rushing to close the shutter before you let the image in.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I use the GT1550T traveller with the included Gitzo head for my M8. It works perfectly. I use a cable release or 2 second self timer, so it doesn't have to be totally, absolutely rock solid. I've shot at 16 seconds with tack-sharp results. The best feature is that it folds up to 14" which fits inside my laptop bag for travel.

I use the GT2540 with Gitzo G1376 Offset Ball Head or Manfrotto 468MGRC0 Hydrostatic Ball Head for larger cameras like the DMR or D2X. I do a little demo with the GT2540 in our store (we're a Gitzo 5 Star dealer, btw) where I support myself hanging from the top of the tripod and swing back and forth. The 2540 doesn't budge, bend, or flex. Good thing I only weigh 17.6 lbs, huh?

If you have an older 1228, 1258 or similiar, you owe it to yourself to try out the new GT25xx tripods. G-Lock is awesome, new threaded bolt design and milled aluminum mounting plate is a nice improvement, and the Ground-Level Set removable column is brilliant. The new 2-series is as sturdy as the old 3-series.

The hydrostatic ball head is amazing. If you haven't tried one, it really is amazing. It goes from totally loose and smooth to locked down with a zero resistance flick of the wrist. Manfrotto used the same principle as power brakes in a car to make it one of the strongest heads, period.

The Gitzo G1376 is also one of my favorites as it allows for a lot more adjustment than a traditional ball. Nice big plate, sturdy head, exceptional build quality. It is especially well suited for holding a camera with ringflash using the long plate.

I love playing with this stuff... :)

David