The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripods and Ball heads

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Gitzo's compared

2541L - the few extra inches when tripod at full height felt significantly better to me. The small wieight difference really didn't feel like a problem at all. Seems much sturdier with each equivalent leg being slightly larger on the 2540 than the 1540. The clincher was collapsed it is maybe and inch or two longer than the 1540. $640

This past summer I started using a tripod in the city doing some night shooting. The max height of the tripod I was using was just about 59". There were numerous instances that I really wanted to go higher to get something out of the frame (bushes, railings, fences etc.). My advice get a tall tripod! It also is much easier on your back.
Terry,
I am looking at the 2541L as well but I had some concerns about its minimum height with the center column collapsed and with the legs fully extended. My eye height is 64.5 inches off the ground, and if I take the center column collapsed spec of 59.4 inches and add six inches for camera and ball head, that puts it at an inch over my eye-height.
Is this a problem for you or do you only partially extend the legs?
thanks
-bob

Terry

Re: Gitzo's compared

Terry,
I am looking at the 2541L as well but I had some concerns about its minimum height with the center column collapsed and with the legs fully extended. My eye height is 64.5 inches off the ground, and if I take the center column collapsed spec of 59.4 inches and add six inches for camera and ball head, that puts it at an inch over my eye-height.
Is this a problem for you or do you only partially extend the legs?
thanks
-bob
It felt good to me. Yes, if camera and ballhead are on and it is too high I won't extend the legs fully. My old tripod went to 59.4 with the center column fully up. This past summer I did a whole series of night shooting and took a number of shots with the center column fully up as I needed the height for things in the city (like not cutting off the top of a bridge) and could not step back into traffic to get the shot. So, I knew I wanted higher than what I had. When I was speaking with Jack he also said there are a lot of instances where you have uneven surfaces and may have one leg a little bit down hill costing you some overall height.

I don't generally just carry a tripod around with me all the time nor do I do extensive hiking. When I know that I am going somewhere that I will be shooting with a tripod I take it for that shoot. So, unlike some, the absolute smallest, lightest system was less important than the frustration of it being too short. So, for something like Moab where we will be hiking about 20 minutes to our location the extra length and few ounces (or perhaps a pound) didn't bother me. The only thing that would probably change my opinion was if I traveled a lot and I could not fit the tripod into a regularly used suitcase but I think this one will be OK diagonally. I know the traveler series fits into almost any bag.

Guy uses the 2541L and somewhere in the posts told me his height. I'm sure he will see this and respond or send him a PM.

terry

Last edited:

TimWright

Just ordered a 2541L and RRS 40pcl head myself. Looked at a few models with leveling bases and also the Acratech heads. Still may get a little traveler at some point for use on my bike.

Terry

I was going to order the LR model and not the PCL. Is it worth getting the PCL for panoramas if that is not your primary use?

TimWright

I am not all that keen on the quick release and I think the pcl version is worthwhile just to easily level the camera. This will replace a mountaineer version with a Kirk head I bought a couple of years ago. One thing I always found a pain was getting the thing level.

Hacker

Am using a Gitzo GT2530 and I removed the center column and added in the tripod base from Krik. Head is the Arca Swiss Z1 (quick release). I find this combination just nice for my height and very light, yet strong.

TimWright

Anyone have any experience with Acratech heads? I have read a couple of favorable reviews and they seem pretty good. I have an RH40 on order from RRS but when I called to check the status today they have no idea as to when it might ship so I am looking for an alternative.

TimWright

RRS was backordered on the head that I wanted and the leveling unit so I had to cancel the order unfortunately. I needed it before new year so I had to order an Acratech head with their leveling base.

woodyspedden

I have the Gitzo 1228 with the RRS BH 55 ball head. it is a bit heavy but really works wonders. One thing though, I dropped a 1DsMkII when I inadvertantly hit the quick release clamp. Next day I ordered the screw type clamp which takes a few second longer but you know it is secure. JMHO and YMMV

Woody

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Am using a Gitzo GT2530 and I removed the center column and added in the tripod base from Krik..
I'm confused as to the reason for this. The GT2530 has the ground level set, which allows you to remove the column. For older model Gitzos the Kirk adapter might make sense, but on the newer GTxxxx series, this is unncessary. Are there other advantages?

David

Terry

RRS was backordered on the head that I wanted and the leveling unit so I had to cancel the order unfortunately. I needed it before new year so I had to order an Acratech head with their leveling base.
Not sure which head you were looking for but based on your comments, I called RRS on Wednesday to place my order. The BH-40 was on backorder and they weren't sure when it would be in stock. I placed the order, but told them not to ship anything or charge my card until the entire order was ready for shipping. I didn't want to get caught with the little bits and pieces and not have the ball head when it was time to go to Moab.

I just got an email notifying me that it shipped. My first reaction is "they messed up and shipped a partial order". I need to be less skeptical. I called the whole order including the ball head shipped. So they managed to ship me a backorder item faster than some places can get a regular order together (1.5 days) Yipeee. Add another $600+ to my M8 kit LOL!!!:D

TimWright

Not sure which head you were looking for but based on your comments, I called RRS on Wednesday to place my order. The BH-40 was on backorder and they weren't sure when it would be in stock. I placed the order, but told them not to ship anything or charge my card until the entire order was ready for shipping. I didn't want to get caught with the little bits and pieces and not have the ball head when it was time to go to Moab.

I just got an email notifying me that it shipped. My first reaction is "they messed up and shipped a partial order". I need to be less skeptical. I called the whole order including the ball head shipped. So they managed to ship me a backorder item faster than some places can get a regular order together (1.5 days) Yipeee. Add another $600+ to my M8 kit LOL!!!:D
I had ordered the same head but with the leveling plate. The last time I called they said the head should be available by the end of the week or early next week but the leveling part wouldn't be till the new year. I needed at least the head by Christmas but they couldn't guarantee it. My own fault for leaving it so late. I ended up with the Acratech head and their leveling base. I received it today from BH and it seems like it will work very well. Jean at Leicaboutique.com called me today to say my 2541L was in so I will pick it up tomorrow and put it all together and give it a try.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I found myself in Palo Alto with an hour to spare before my dinner reservation at La Strada, so I went over to California and dropped into K&S.
Lots of tripods on display there and I played with the 2540lvl and the 2541L.
I liked the idea of the leveling tripod, and for a hundred bucks more, I might have picked that one, but I was a bit suspicious of the rubber seal around the center ball and the somewhat lower extension when compared with the 2541L. I rationalized that if I really needed a level for something like a pano, then I would just clamp the RRS PCL-1 into the ball head, and then level that.
I walked away with the 2541L even though I should have waited until I got home to MA to buy it from B&H.
Anyway, I will sell off the G1228 if I can keep it out of the clutches of my son who is seeking an equipment donation.
-bob

Last edited:

TimWright

I picked up my 2541L this morning and put the new Acratech head that has a sort of gimbal ability built in. Not as good as a Wimberly but will work well with my 5D and 400. I got the Acratech leveling base for it as well. So far I am quite impressed with it. I also have a 1228 with a Kirk head that I will sell.