The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripods and Ball heads

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well we have the bags and straps . Let's talk about the real important stuff . Tripods and Ball heads . i know no M shooter should be using tripods. :D

I use the BH -40 head and the GT 2541L legs. i find this just about perfect for the M8 system

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have two different tripod/head combs.

My main pod is a newer Gitzo 1340 XLS with an Arca Cube head --- IMO this is about the closest thing to an ideal combo for most cameras up through and including 4x5. However, it is Leica-expensive. Here is a review of the Cube: http://www.getdpi.com/cube.html

My second pod is my smaller travel pod. This combo is a Gitzo 1228 LVL and a Linhof Medium Profi head. I add an RRS QR clamp to it which can be removed for use with a camera without an Arca style plate. This is a very useful combo as well, and the tilting center column allows some interesting flexibility for shooting positions, especially low angles or macro.

Cheers,

jlm

Workshop Member
light weight set: gitzo 1157; RRS small ball and sometimes pano head on top of that, so you can level with the ball and then do pans in a level plane.

also Gitzo 1327 and Acratech ball for the 5D;
sometimes use the old silver Tiltall copy, Star D, although that is mostly for site construction work with a laser.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
I second Guy's setup ! RRS stuff is really excellent. BH 55 for all other gear. It should hold the ALPA also:D

Jim on iPhone

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL , you are going to get that Alps i can feel it. LOL

Another I Phone junkie. it really works great on our site folks

Lars

A topic worth discussion... though I'm not a Leica shooter.

RRS plates everywhere of course.

My lightweight setup is a Gitzo Mountaineer 1128 (roughly similar to today's GT1540 I believe?) with cutoff center column. It has a FHM 38 ballhead (similar in size to an Acratech) with a RRS clamp. This setup works well for travel (which assumes that the camera and lens are light enough to carry). I used it with 4x5 when trekking in Chile for three months, but it was on the light side in strong mountain winds.

[Off topic] The heavy rig is a Gitzo Mountaineer 1548 with a Burzunski ballhead. This is for the 8x10 monorail. The Burzunski head is an interesting contraption. Doesn't tilt more than 45 degrees, but handles the 30lb monorail with ease. The head replaces the head mounting plate of the Gitzo, so the ball is actually sunk down.

When using my longest lenses (473 and 645 mm) on the 8x10 I use two tripods. The original center column of the 1128 has a carpenter's clamp attached to it, that grabs the front of the monorail. This dampens any oscillations.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I have a Gitzo 1548CF and a smaller Velbon 540 (I think). Which I use depends on the camera that goes on it, how far I have to carry it, and how windy it is...

Farnz

For me it's the Manfrotto Carbone One and the Novoflex MiniMagicBall. Very light, very stable, way tall enough and the Novo has a great tactile feel with a single action to lock the ball head.

But I do lust after a Gitzo ...

Pete.

PeterA

Hey Jack- do you think/know that the "Cubes" machining has improved or is it still just a fact of life and new buyers have to live with it re the release lever...I would appreciate any links you may have pointing me to the Kirk slider..

In fact I think it may be useful for the forum to have a seperate section called links..where people can post useful stuff/gadgets /gizmos and etc etc and where to get it..

woudl be especially useful for people liek me who have to live wth the reality that we order from OS ourselves to get teh good stuff. -:)

Terry

Well we have the bags and straps . Let's talk about the real important stuff . Tripods and Ball heads . i know no M shooter should be using tripods. :D

I use the BH -40 head and the GT 2541L legs. i find this just about perfect for the M8 system
ROFLMAO - you knew before February I was going to ask this question.:D:D:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jack- do you think/know that the "Cubes" machining has improved or is it still just a fact of life and new buyers have to live with it re the release lever...I would appreciate any links you may have pointing me to the Kirk slider..

In fact I think it may be useful for the forum to have a seperate section called links..where people can post useful stuff/gadgets /gizmos and etc etc and where to get it..

woudl be especially useful for people liek me who have to live wth the reality that we order from OS ourselves to get teh good stuff. -:)
Hi Peter:

I cannot say for sure, but I doubt it... My solution was to pull it off and sell it, then mount a RRS screw-lock QR clamp for the Arca heads. Unfortunately RRS stopped making them shortly after they started making their own ballheads.

However, the fix is pretty simple, especially for a fabricator like you. Worst case is you'll just need to re-shape the release lever profile to allow more clamp clearance with the lever flipped open. The lever unscrews from the clamp completely and is a Delrin or other thermal-plastic piece, so easy to shape with a mill file. Once fixed it worked well. I just prefer a traditional screw-down clamp I can feel tighten ;) Alternatively, you can buy an Arca screw clamp for any Arca head and replace it with that.

We discussed a links section, but the problem is the new ones come in and the old ones change or redirect, and after several months you end up a huge database of useless links. And frankly, neither Guy nor I are organized enough to keep them current :D

PeterA

Thanks for the info Jack. Re teh Arca the idea of paying 1500 US so that i can pull the thing apart and fix it on my milling machine - doesnt suit LOL

re links - i guess I'l just ASK you guys!! :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have the earlier model of the Gitzo GT-1550T 6x carbon fiber tripod. It was very pricey, but worth every penny. I can carry it in one hand, so I tend to use it more. It goes everywhere with me. I replaced the included tiny ballhead with a bigger Gitzo G1177M, but it isn't an elegant solution and I will be replacing it. I highly recommend the tripod for a travel tripod (it fits in a carry-on). It works great with the Leica M and I can even put my Canon on it in a pinch.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Can I suggest that you guys take a look at the Novoflex Magic Ball.

I had the RRS BH 40 for the M8 but switched to this as it is smaller, very stable, and just more versatile plus faster in actual use.

Best,

Ray

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ray,
That is an interesting design. Do you use it without a quick release? I see that there are 3 sizes: magicball, magicball 50 and mini-magicball. Which one are you referring to for your M8?

harmsr

Workshop Member
Hi Cindy,

I use the mini for the M8, with absolutely no problems. The system comes in basically three pieces. You will need to get the ball, then whichever quickrelease system of theirs you like, and the plate. Relative to the plate, you can use whatever you already have such as ArcaSwiss, RRS, NovoFlex, etc...

Even though the mini doesn't have a unique fine friction adjustment, the screw works fine enough with the weight of the M8 and lens as if it does.

The Novoflex system is a little more expense than the RRS options put I really like the complete flexability of movement in any direction as needed due to the surface you are on.

Best,

Ray

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Can I suggest that you guys take a look at the Novoflex Magic Ball.

I had the RRS BH 40 for the M8 but switched to this as it is smaller, very stable, and just more versatile plus faster in actual use.
Best,
Ray
Ray,
The mini-ball "features" says that you can use it without a clamp because the thumb-wheel makes on/off easy. I was wondering if you had tried it and what you thought? Leaving off the clamp and the two plates on my M's might be an attractive option, if it is not too hard to take them off and on.
Have you found any need for the panoramic head for panning ability?
Last question: If you lock down tight with a heavy lens like the 75 lux, is there any creep? That is what my present gitzo ball suffers from prompting my search for something that works as good as my Markins Q10L did with my SLR kit.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Cindy,

I have not tried it without the clamping system. I have the clamp plate with the screw knob and use the plate on the camera.

I sometimes use the Leica table-top tripod and Leica small ball head when traveling, which mounts as you are asking. It is a "PITA" for an attachment method.

I don't have a 75 Lux, but have used the M8 with the 90 Cron ASPH or 50 Nocti on it and have no creep. I agree creep also drives me nuts.

Best,

Ray