The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Marknorton's Anatomy" revisited

Bébèrt

With great pleasure and interest I read the original thread of marknorton
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/21331-anatomy-leica-m8.html
and all this information helped me in my quest to repair a bad contact at the shutter-switch, caused by some drops of water.
No warranty on water damage and Solms asked €300 just to make an estimate of the problem, so ..

I bravely removed the base of my M8 à la façon de Mark!
(with my -no engineering- skills):eek:

The 5 screws to remove from the base are plainly visible when you take off the base plate. You need a Phillips P000 screwdriver to remove them and, as with any cross head screw, press into the screw when first undoing it to prevent the screwdriver head riding up and damaging the screw. With all 5 screws removed, the black plastic plate simply lifts out; obviously remove the battery and SD card.

In this picture, the hole on the extreme right of the picture is the one where the screw securing the top can be reached. This is a larger screw head, hence the P00 screwdriver which needs to be long enough to reach the top of the camera; it's also a captive screw so will not drop out if you undo it.

The second screw retaining the top is located on the extreme left in the battery compartment.

The top lifted of

my way for not loosing a screw...

exposed shutter-position switch. Here I cleaned the contact 'lanes' with some WD-40.

reassembling the shutterpositionswitch. (removed the adhesive tape when item in place)

added last piece, the shutter-release switch

first pict when completely reassembled, shutter-switch operates much smoother and makes
good contact in the different positions. For the time being ...

don't try this at home :lecture:

V

Vivek

That Norton is a legend. There is already a standing request that he do the M9!:)

Bob Parsons

Unfortunately WD-40 is not a good choice for this type of application because it's oil based and may turn out to be a temporary solution. If later you find that you have to repeat the process this is a good lubricant/cleaner to apply sparingly:

Caig Laboratoties Inc. DeoxIT®/DeoxIT® GOLD

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2299/.f

(Don't forget to clean off the old WD-40 first though. Probably Isopropyl alcohol IPA is a good solvent but be careful because it looks as if the circuit boards have a conformal varnish coating which may also be dissolved.)

Bob.

Last edited:

Bébèrt

Thanks Bob,
that's indeed a better solution.
I'll go and get this contact cleaner and repeat the surgery.