The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New C1 User!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I put this in the M section because it will be a common topic with the new M9 coming bundled with LR. I made the big mistake of taking 8 images that I had worked my butt off processing in LR . Pretty damn proud of myself too. I did my first import of them in C1 ...I had to check twice to see if I pulled the processed version . Out of the box the C1 conversion beat my best LR conversion after processing. This is really like looking at a totally different file.

Lets see now how long will it take to rework 50K images in C1:deadhorse:

Hopefully, LR results will get better with better camera profiles. It is hard to argue with actual results though and that is all that matters right now.

Mark

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
No I have to agree with Jack and Guy(damn I hate to roll over !). But they have been right all along. You can see it in the raw conversion immediately ..I did zero processing. I know nothing about C1..

I had just finished buffing 8 images for my portfolio and I reprocessed them to the best of my abilities in LR. Then I took the originals and loaded them into C1. This isn t profiles... its a better conversion. I can t believe I have been leaving that much IQ on the shelf! :deadhorse: This is the closest smiley to kicking yourself in the butt.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Roger - now you need to re-look at your 640ISO/DR limit for the files. Perhaps converting in C1 will give you some improvement.

C1 handles the noise pretty well, although I know it is not just noise that is a concern for you.

Roger, I assumed a better camera profile would improve LR conversion. Doesn't the camera profile itself affect the conversion before you make adjustments? Sorta like canned adjustments on import. I wonder just how much of the difference you see between C1 and LR is attributable to camera profiles versus conversion algorithms.

Mark

cam

C1 definitely changes the look of your files for the better!

i was dragged, kicking and screaming, but luckily i saw quite early on that the difference was huge.... one really annoying hour or so. trying to work an image and get a handle on the program was all i needed. that, and some marvelous pre-sets Jack provided for the M8 as well as Jamie Robert's profiles and processing images was a breeze!

It may be a bit of denial you're hearing from me. I used C1 from 2002 to 2007 so I probably need to give it another go.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
LR has some terrific catalog capabilities, in my mind, that's its biggest strength. I've always processed my M8 files in C1 but it wasn't until I tried my Nikon files in it that I realized what an advantage it has over LR when it comes to RAW conversion.

If you like what it does for your Leica files, try some old files from another camera and see if it doesn't show you something you never knew was there.

(no affiliation with PhaseOne [unfortunately])

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger - now you need to re-look at your 640ISO/DR limit for the files. Perhaps converting in C1 will give you some improvement.

C1 handles the noise pretty well, although I know it is not just noise that is a concern for you.
I agree completely. If I am going to bitch about high ISO ....I need to get my act together on C1. I have a batch of night shots at 640 and 1250 ready.

If it ever stops raining the M9 will come out.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
LR has some terrific catalog capabilities, in my mind, that's its biggest strength. I've always processed my M8 files in C1 but it wasn't until I tried my Nikon files in it that I realized what an advantage it has over LR when it comes to RAW conversion.

If you like what it does for your Leica files, try some old files from another camera and see if it doesn't show you something you never knew was there.

(no affiliation with PhaseOne [unfortunately])
I tried a really difficult file of kid s playing in the water spouts in atlanta shot with the Nikon and the zeiss 85. A torture test for high contrast ....the C1 file nailed it out of the box.

This is all subjective stuff but since i had just done the files..I knew what to expect.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No I have to agree with Jack and Guy(damn I hate to roll over !). But they have been right all along. You can see it in the raw conversion immediately ..I did zero processing. I know nothing about C1..
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Welcome aboard Roger!

PS: And Guy is correct -- you could become very proficient with C1 with what you'd learn on our Oregon workshop!

:D,