The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2 weeks with the M9 in Crete

jonoslack

Hi there
I've managed to produce some preliminary web pages of our recent trip to Crete.
The idea was to give a feeling for the range of subjects possible, and, more than that, to provide a little entertainment.
For the first time I've actually put captions to the pictures, I'm not sure whether it adds or detracts, but it's been fun thinking about it.

Comments and criticisms welcome, and, as usual, shortcomings are most likely down to the photographer, and not the camera.

It's worth mentioning that the camera performed flawlessly, sometimes in temperatures above 40C, was often splashed or dusty and sometimes almost too hot to touch.

I hope you enjoy looking at them almost as much as I enjoyed taking them!

M9 in South West Crete

Terry

Hi Jono,
I can't look at all of these in detail but it looks like a great collection from the trip.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Wow Jono - very nice!

I agree - 18MP opens up new territory for the M system. I chose the M9 (and sold off my Canon system to purchase it) because it now is a fantastic tool for my favorite types of photography: landscapes (while hiking with a light kit), travel / scenic, and portraits. I'll keep a DSLR and a tele-zoom for sports/action, but everything else will be shot with the M9 now.

The file sizes would seem to indicate that you are shooting compressed DNG. Have you had any chance to compare compressed vs uncompressed to see the difference?

I'm traveling this week with my M9, and shooting mainly compressed to save space. When I get home this weekend, I'm going to do a comparison of compressed vs uncompressed, and will share my thoughts.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

I just listed my M8 and was having a few moments of "Oh my what have I done?"

Your M9 in Crete gallery has cooled my angst and convinced me that I will not regret the change.

Gorgeous as always ...

Bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I didn't want to look but I couldn't help myself. I am incredibly jealous.

There are some stunning photos in that group and I think it's a terrific way to see what the M9 can do. Some of the examples are a little surprising at how much and how beautifully the camera captures. The blue skies are phenomenal. Some of that might be your location, but there's a beautiful quality to the color. And it would appear that the camera can portray the truly grand in a very grand manner. For example, the B&W shot of the coast and clouds (no. 47 I think?) reminded me a bit of the tonal range of sheet film.

Other impressions:

1. I want to go to Crete;

2. There are a lot of old goats on Crete, both the two-legged and four-legged variety;

3. I think I have a slight crush on the pulchritudinous passenger riding the ferry (?);

4. The M9 seems a lot more malleable with highlights than the M8; and

5. I want to go to Crete.

Thanks for your efforts Jono. I think they count very much.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just making me mad looking at these . I get to shoot a dead desert with the M9 and you get a holiday, tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong. LOL

Looking good Jono

D

ddk

Looks like you had a great time there with good old friends Jono. Nice collection but 72 is my favorite, very Hitchcockian...

Last edited:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Going through them all a 2nd time (love the captions!).

It's a great vacation portfolio. I was especially struck by #3, #4, #37, #42, #45 (for Irakly) and #46 (B&W of storm clouds on coastline), #51 (140), #73, #74, and #83.

bradhusick

I just love the photo of the guy standing in front of the boat that's boarding the other travelers. Classic.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Jono great photos......... One for Irakly:D

I noticed that you shot the majority with -.7ev, -1.0ev looks like thats the sweet spot?

The 16mm looks great. Looks a WATE is in my future, the hell with the kids college.

skimmel

Some wonderful images Jono!

I particularly like 46, 53, 60, 72, 83.

2 questions:

1) I noticed that you pretty consistently had -1 EV dialed in. Do you think the camera had a tendency to overexpose?

2) How did you find using the 75 vs the 90 in terms of (a) ability to focus, (b) utility to you focal length-wise, (c) lens drawing on the M9? I realize these are all very subjective, but I'm try to decide whether to sell my 75 cron or 90 cron to help fund my M9 (or keep them both and be more poor!).

Thanks.

jonoslack

Wow Jono - very nice!

I agree - 18MP opens up new territory for the M system. I chose the M9 (and sold off my Canon system to purchase it) because it now is a fantastic tool for my favorite types of photography: landscapes (while hiking with a light kit), travel / scenic, and portraits. I'll keep a DSLR and a tele-zoom for sports/action, but everything else will be shot with the M9 now.

The file sizes would seem to indicate that you are shooting compressed DNG. Have you had any chance to compare compressed vs uncompressed to see the difference?

I'm traveling this week with my M9, and shooting mainly compressed to save space. When I get home this weekend, I'm going to do a comparison of compressed vs uncompressed, and will share my thoughts.
Hi Mike
I haven't done a proper comparison between compressed and non compressed - of course, I should have, just like I should have done proper jpg comparisons . . . but there is so little time, and so many other things to check!

Jono,

I just listed my M8 and was having a few moments of "Oh my what have I done?"

Your M9 in Crete gallery has cooled my angst and convinced me that I will not regret the change.

Gorgeous as always ...

Bob
HI Bob
Pleased to be of service! I think that's what this post was about. I'm certain you won't regret it.

I didn't want to look but I couldn't help myself. I am incredibly jealous.

There are some stunning photos in that group and I think it's a terrific way to see what the M9 can do. Some of the examples are a little surprising at how much and how beautifully the camera captures. The blue skies are phenomenal. Some of that might be your location, but there's a beautiful quality to the color. And it would appear that the camera can portray the truly grand in a very grand manner. For example, the B&W shot of the coast and clouds (no. 47 I think?) reminded me a bit of the tonal range of sheet film.

Other impressions:

1. I want to go to Crete;

2. There are a lot of old goats on Crete, both the two-legged and four-legged variety;

3. I think I have a slight crush on the pulchritudinous passenger riding the ferry (?);

4. The M9 seems a lot more malleable with highlights than the M8; and

5. I want to go to Crete.

Thanks for your efforts Jono. I think they count very much.
I want to go to Crete as well (for another month at least!):ROTFL:
I'm not sure that you should have a crush on the commuter (my children find her rather distasteful).
Not sure about the highlights . . . I'm always very careful with them, but it certainly isn't worse.
There is some post processing there, but certainly nothing sophisticated (I don't do sophisticated :))
The colour there is fantastic, but I think the camera has done a grand job of capturing it.

Just making me mad looking at these . I get to shoot a dead desert with the M9 and you get a holiday, tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong. LOL

Looking good Jono
Hi Guy. Well, I'm back from holiday now . . 357 emails to deal with too :eek:
Looks like you had a great time there with good old friends Jono. Nice collection but 72 is my favorite, very Hitchcockian...
HI David
Lots of old friends gather there each year. The lunchtimes on that taverna by the sea are very bibulous! 72 was around 3 stops under-exposed at 2500 ISO, but it was irresistable!

Going through them all a 2nd time (love the captions!).

It's a great vacation portfolio. I was especially struck by #3, #4, #37, #42, #45 (for Irakly) and #46 (B&W of storm clouds on coastline), #51 (140), #73, #74, and #83.
HI Mike
Glad you liked the captions . . . most were only considered for a second or so, but sometimes they are useful (especially perhaps in shot 3). For Irakly is a 'thank you', a nod in his direction. Several years ago he told me that one of my photos would be fine if I 'put an alligator' in the top right. Since then I've tried to put alligators in all my shots, but this one certainly seemed to fit the bill!
51 (140) Emma said "why on earth did they paint their house THAT colour" I just said Yipeee!
83 I've taken before, I just love the way the windows lean towards each other . . .and that pink !

I just love the photo of the guy standing in front of the boat that's boarding the other travelers. Classic.
HI Brad
Glad you liked it . .. actually, that large naked guy was throwing that slim naked (very brown) lady into the sea . . . .FWIW

Jono great photos......... One for Irakly:D

I noticed that you shot the majority with -.7ev, -1.0ev looks like thats the sweet spot?

The 16mm looks great. Looks a WATE is in my future, the hell with the kids college.
HI there
It could be the calibration of my camera - but I'm always very careful not to blow highlights (I'd much rather have noisy shadows).
The WATE is wonderful on the M9 . . . really fine.

Some wonderful images Jono!

I particularly like 46, 53, 60, 72, 83.

2 questions:

1) I noticed that you pretty consistently had -1 EV dialed in. Do you think the camera had a tendency to overexpose?

2) How did you find using the 75 vs the 90 in terms of (a) ability to focus, (b) utility to you focal length-wise, (c) lens drawing on the M9? I realize these are all very subjective, but I'm try to decide whether to sell my 75 cron or 90 cron to help fund my M9 (or keep them both and be more poor!).

Thanks.
HI there
Glad you liked those shots :)

1) My camera was an early pre-production model. Nothing wrong with it, but some of the calibration has changed, and I find it better to keep the exposure down (it may not be relevant in production cameras). Added to this I really don't want to blow highlights in high contrast areas.

2) I have a 90 elmarit which is the first leica lens I ever bought, and which has almost never been used. My 75 'cron was probably the most used lens on the M8. Since I've had the M9, the roles have been reversed. Worth mentioning that I didn't much like the 50 on the M8, but am loving it on the M9. So, if you want my advice, if you like a 50 on the M8 keep both, if you don't then sell the 75, either way, don't sell the 90 'cron until you're sure you don't want it . . . and then, if you don't want it . . . sell it to me!

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, Haven't looked at all of them but "Bill Takes A Drag" is a super capture. Well seen!:clap:

(It is another matter about the ISO2500 image quality..)

kevinparis

jono

love the pictures...you find the things i try and find.. but do it better... my problem is i don't see in many of the shots a 7000 buck camera with a 2000 buck lens... something went very wrong with the bright reds - the red in "blue and red" as an example also picture 39

of course i am sure they are gorgeous blown up big

cheers

K

jonoslack

Hi Jono, Haven't looked at all of them but "Bill Takes A Drag" is a super capture. Well seen!:clap:

(It is another matter about the ISO2500 image quality..)
Hi Vivek
Thanks - it was dark for that shot - I think it was at 1/15th, but about 3 stops under-exposed - you really shouldn't criticise the camera for it! Sometimes it's worth stepping outside the bounds of realism though!

jonoslack

jono

love the pictures...you find the things i try and find.. but do it better... my problem is i don't see in many of the shots a 7000 buck camera with a 2000 buck lens... something went very wrong with the bright reds - the red in "blue and red" as an example also picture 39

of course i am sure they are gorgeous blown up big

cheers

K
Hi Kevin
Give a guy a break!
The reds are an issue - Leica changed the way it worked so that there is a great deal more headroom in the red channel (see the dpreview review and other places for explanation). The result is that they really are better . . . but . . . neither Lightroom (shipping with the M9) or Aperture (which I use) currently use the camera specific colour calibration, which does leave one needing to make small adjustments.

The shot you mention (39) I was having fun with - and I punched up the red (probably too much, but remember, I'm looking on a Mac).
Does this look better:

Unfortunately there is no escape for the wicked!

Please pass my very best on to your very best!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Look at the color charts on any of my test shots. The reds are dead on but that is with c1 and it has the correct profile. Check against the P 30 as well

jonoslack

Look at the color charts on any of my test shots. The reds are dead on but that is with c1 and it has the correct profile. Check against the P 30 as well
Hi Guy
You're right - they're good. I haven't spent much time with LR, but with Aperture they are also good . . . but both programs need the camera specific adjustments that Phase got in first. With the M8 they were never perfect, blowing too soon and losing detail (in C1 as well).

I'd been using a little poetic license with some of those shots (always a mistake with a new camera) and Kevin, quite rightly, had put me on the spot.
:shocked::eek::cry: