The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 and B&W?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thats it !:thumbup: The lack of a decent profile seems to be killing the M9 files in LR.
I agree Roger. IMO this last conversion is as good as any other DSLR, but still a notch behind the M8. That camera does special B&W -- the classic case of a f***-up turning out to be a feature :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would check my review on further processing the M9 has a touch more saturation than the P30 for example by 10 points in C1 and this maybe affecting the conversion to B&W

Jack I will take that DNG and use the yellow filter after I desaturate it 10 points . Let me find it

bradhusick

Guys,
I know this sounds stupid, but all of these b/w conversions looked really bad to me, and then I calibrated my screen (MacBook Pro, LED backlight) with my i1 and BAM! They look great!

I know you're all working on freshly calibrated monitors, so this just points out how stupid I was.

-Brad

HamSammich

This is Silver Efex with radically different contrast and structure adjustments. And a perhaps too heavy boost of the shadows. Too dreamy-surreal?

The plug-in is, however, obscenely flexible.

Just one quibble: I do wish that the film types they modeled had all been developed to a constant gamma. That way, the choice of "look" would truly reflect a given film's "look", rather than that of a film-developer-gamma combo. Any thoughts?

HamSammich

You obviously went out looking for hellish lighting. And found it. I'm just now playing with the DNG and I gotta say, the sharpness and rendering is spectacular. I'm just a dedicated amateur (since age seven), but have always had a sweet spot for 35mm RFs. I learned on my dad's Minolta Autocord, but my first real camera was a Ricoh 500G--Loaded with Kodachrome, of course!

As for the retouching, thanks. I'm guided, oddly enough, not by Adams or Picker, or Plowden or any of the other photo-craftsmen I admire, but a guy named Steve Hoffman. He's an audio mastering engineer who has a simple goal in his work: Providing what he calls "The Breath of Life." Simple goal. Very tough to achieve.

He also loves him some Leicas.

Guy Mancuso

Don't have to look to far for the worst light around just walk out the door after 7 am and it is a blazing fire. I rejoice when I see 15 cloudy days a year. I kid you not

I don't do pretty tests, pick the worst situation that you will face and that is what you want to test for after that everything else is a cake walk. The idea here is your stressing the camera and file to it's limits. Those are the real answers you should be seeking and that is finding the limits so you know what to expect and more important learn what you have in your hands so creatively you get what you are after. Your right it is the worst damn light you may ever run across and good to know how to fix it

HamSammich

That's why I'm forever grateful for having grown up in Pittsburgh. Moody overcast skies about 80-percent of the year. Textured, silvery overcast, and smooth open shade. I can see why Gene Smith stayed two years to finish a three-week assignment.

That and he was bat-**** crazy.

Guy Mancuso

ROTFLMAO . I grew up in Jersey and overcast was nice.

Seriously ask any Pro on this forum what there job really is. Most likely number 1 answer. Solve problems and this light is just one of them. Now i would have done something completely different if these young ladies was the real job and what I was supposed to be shooting. Basically a grab and go here

BTW that was a 90mm Summarit at F4

HamSammich

And here's my version from the DNG. And, once again, wow! Im gonna have so sell blood to afford it... but this has all the markings of "the last camera I'll buy."

zonevt

This is a version I did in CS4 camera raw B+W conversion.....brought out some exposure in the woman at left while still retaining detail in the flesh mid tones in the woman on the right. Basic B+W conversion playing slightly with greens and blues. I think this would be much better with a profiled M9 camera.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I could not get the dng to open in C1. I'm not sure why, but C1 would not recognize it. I made this attempt in CameraRaw and CS4.

Guy Mancuso

Just for fun after the correct adjustments in C1 for color I than used the Yellow filter style on these. Hard light in all of them