The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24mm on the M9

photohc

I know this is probably a dumb question but can you use this lens without an external finder on the M9? If not what finder do you find most effective for this lens? Can you use the 21mm plastic job?

Paratom

I dont think you can compfortably frame without an external viewfinder.
External viewfinder - everything should work which has a 24mm frame. Leica, Zeiss (25mm), Leica Frankenfinder, or the Leica 21-24-28 finder.
I dont know if Voigtländer does a 24mm finder as well?

dseelig

Well I have an m9 for me I will have a viewfinder up there. Me I have a the zeiss 25 and the frankenfinder if working with the wate the franken if at night street shooting, the zeiss.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Dseelig,

I have the Franken for my WATE and am thinking about getting the Zeiss 25/28 for the 24 Elmarit ASPH. Can you comment on the comparisons of these two finders? Many thanks.

Kind regards,

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Agree with Guy..the zeiss 25/28 finder seems ideal for the M9 and the 24. I have been using the 21 with the WATE and the 25/28 with the 21 on the M8 since the beginning .

Paratom

I own an older Leica 21mm finder for my 21mm lens and its fine. Also hae the Frankenfinder. Usable for many lenses, its ok , but IMO quite big and a lot of distorsion. I have looked through Zeiss finders once and have to agree its the best I have seen so far. Bright, large, clear and not too much distorsion.
If I did not allready have the Leica finder I would probably get a Zeiss external finder.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I used the 21mm Zeiss finder with the 24 Lux in Germany. The framing was actually relatively accurate. I have a 25/28 finder, but didn't bring it with me. Based on what I saw with the 21 finder, I'd venture to guess that the 25 frame lines might give you a fair amount more than what you are seeing through the finder. The 21 finder was giving me just a squeak less than what I was seeing, but not much.

Another finder to consider would be the D-Lux 4 viewfinder. Actually pretty nice and it is 24mm. Not as solid as the new brass 21 and 24 Leica finders, but still optically good and more compact/lower profile than the Zeiss.

I also took our a 21/24/28 Leica vario finder to play with today. There are no brightlines but the zoom feature is nice and the image is undistorted and bright.

Options, options, options. Good luck.

David

JPlomley

I've been using the new Leica 21mm finder for both my 21 and 28 (has frame lines for both). Extremely accurate, excellent eye relief, discrete, excellent contrast and flare free. As an eye glass wearer, I found with the Zeiss I needed to move my eye around quite a bit to see all the framelines. This is not the case with the Leica. As well, I have never had the frame lines disappear in the Leica, whereas with the Zeiss this happened often enough I ditched it.

TimWright

I have been shooting the 24 lux on my M9 on a trip in northern Maine. I have used it with some success without a finder but there is no way to precisely frame without one. I am using the franken finder which is nice for landscape work as it has a built in level and has a settable parallax for close up etc. For street I will probably get the Leica 18/24 as it allows you to see around the shot as my friend Jeff Plomely suggested.