The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV 15 Super Heliar or 21 Skopar for M8/M9?

peterm1

I have an M8 with the 35mm summicron and 75 summicron, and am looking for a wider lens that is not very expensive, since I don't shoot very wide most of the time. I have read great things about the CV15, which is equivalent to a 21mm on the M8. Eventually I hope to make the move to an M9 some day (maybe in a year or two), so I think about how lenses would perform on both cameras before buying them.

I am leaning a bit toward the CV21mm, because I think the CV15mm would be a bit too wide for me on the M9, and 28mm would probably be wide enough for me on the M8 (although I wouldn't mind just a bit wider, like a 24mm). Both CVs are now rangefinder-coupled and come in the M-mount; the CV15mm is more expensive. I don't know much about the performance of the CV21on the M8. Part of me says to get the CV15 because I can always sell it later if I don't like how it would eventually perform on a M9, and I would slightly prefer a 21mm over a 28mm on my M8.

Anyone have any comments on how these lenses compare in optical and other qualities on the M8?

Thanks very much,

Peter

Bébèrt

I have both, they are 2 very good value lenses and are fun to work with.
If you say you don't like the super wide, you'll be better of with the Skopar 21.
It' a nice 28mm on the M8 and a real 21 on the M9, very sharp and surprisingly small (You'll need an external viewfinder tough - 28mm for the M8 and 21 for your M9).
With the Skopar you can't go wrong.

Good lens for travel, sightseeing and street photography.

Architecture - light dome of Galeries Lafayette

Sightseeing - The Seine

Street shot

a few more at my flickr stream :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8697842@N08/

jonoslack

Hi Peter
I don't know about the 21 (although I guess it would be just fine). But the 15mm CV is rather a disappointment on the M9 - the corners are sharp, but there are colour shifts relating to the vignetting.

So, if you're planning on an M9 later, I'd suggest getting the 21

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Has anyone tried a Zeiss 18 on the M9? I'm wondering if it has the same color shifts that are seen with the CV15.

jonoslack

Has anyone tried a Zeiss 18 on the M9? I'm wondering if it has the same color shifts that are seen with the CV15.
HI Mike
I doubt it . . . besides, I think that there might be a solution coming up for the CV 15 (not from me).

Watch . . . some space or other!

Lloyd

I have both, they are 2 very good value lenses and are fun to work with.
If you say you don't like the super wide, you'll be better of with the Skopar 21.
It' a nice 28mm on the M8 and a real 21 on the M9, very sharp and surprisingly small (You'll need an external viewfinder tough - 28mm for the M8 and 21 for your M9).
With the Skopar you can't go wrong.

Good lens for travel, sightseeing and street photography.
Bébèrt, in your capable hands, this lens is magic. Better than anyone else I've seen. :salute:

ampguy

I've had both, and while the CV 15 can do some great landscapes and UW effects, the 21 on M8 is wide enough for my use.

With the 15 on M8, I needed an external VF (21mm), which was always a hassle to first find and mount for a quick shot, but with the CV 21/4 I can use it just realizing it extends slightly outside the whole M8 VF and verify with first shot if accurate framing is needed.

I haven't found the need for filters with either. The chances of mis/over-cyan correction are just as great as under-correction, in my experience when coding and using filters on the CV 15 and CV 21.

However, if you do feel like coding your 15, or any uncoded lens, Bo Lorentzen has a handy hard template that will let you code your lens with a sharpie very quickly.

Lloyd

I'm a fan of the CV 21, and while the older CV 15/4.5 has its limitations, it's certainly a capable lens on the M8. I would not dismiss it too quickly. Here are a few examples from my archives:

Last edited:

peterm1

Thanks for the feedback and really nice photos. A CV15 with viewfinder came up for sale here yesterday, so I am going to try it out.

Bébèrt

Lloyd, super nice one with the 15mm/4.5. The other set with the CV21 is also awsome.

CV15 - Seaside

but PeterM1, if you like wides, don't forget to take a look at the Ultra wides

CV12 - Seaside

iiiNelson

Great discussion and shots. I want to add an ultrawide in the 15-24mm range so I was thinking Zeiss 18mm or CV 21mm maybe

Lloyd

Lloyd, super nice one with the 15mm/4.5. The other set with the CV21 is also awsome.
Thank you Bébèrt. These are really nice. Just to clarify, all of the images I posted were taken with the CV 15/4.5. I have, and love the 21, but didn't post anything taken with it.