The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon SB 800 on M8?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Can we use the SB 800 Nikon flash on the M8's . If so i am going to sell my Metz 54 which is a great flash but I just bought a Nikon D300 and the SB800 for outside the M8 zone of comfort and don't need the Metz 54 if the Nikon will work. All i care about is A mode.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've used the SB 800 on my M8 and it works great. I'm not sure what you're asking about the zoom, but then I don't use flash much. If you can tell me what you want to test, I can try it tomorrow and let you know.

vieri

Guy, it works fine in M mode - as such, you can change the zoom pretty easily and on the fly. Never changed the ISO in a hurry, i don't even remember how to do that but I am pretty sure you can :D

Guy Mancuso

I was wandering if you can change the ISO settings and if you can zoom the flash to match your lens so if you had a 28 on can you set the zoom on the flash to 35mm and use it in A mode non TTl

vieri

I was wandering if you can change the ISO settings and if you can zoom the flash to match your lens so if you had a 28 on can you set the zoom on the flash to 35mm and use it in A mode non TTl
Guy, iI checked this on the manual for you, here it goes:

- You can set the focal length to whatever you want on flash - independent from camera, lens, information coming from cameras who provides them, etc;
- You can set ISO on flash in A & M mode (non-TTL) with two clicks of the interface;

let me know if there is anything I can help you with :D

Guy Mancuso

Perfect my friend just what we need to do for the M8 is be able to set the ISO and F stop that you want to use like 5.6 for me and zoom to match your lens. Sounds like I will sell my Metz than. I do have a Nikon SB 28d as a backup that I use on the M8 also. This one you have to change the ISO when you turn it on so it sounds like I can use the SB800 on both camera's . That is great to hear. Have to say from my past with Nikon that there flash system is the one to beat. They really have this down well.

I think today i am going to finish cleaning out my office and just list all the stuff i don't use anymore. I have a ton of gizmo's, maybe it will help a member or two.

vieri

Perfect my friend just what we need to do for the M8 is be able to set the ISO and F stop that you want to use like 5.6 for me and zoom to match your lens. Sounds like I will sell my Metz than. I do have a Nikon SB 28d as a backup that I use on the M8 also. This one you have to change the ISO when you turn it on so it sounds like I can use the SB800 on both camera's . That is great to hear. Have to say from my past with Nikon that there flash system is the one to beat. They really have this down well.
Indeed - on my D2x(s), I used a SB-800 (off-cam, cabled, as master) & 2 SB-600 off-cam, remote and that is a fantastic setup for quick, light & portable; the D300 can act a commander as well, so you don't even need a unit connected to the camera :D

I think today i am going to finish cleaning out my office and just list all the stuff i don't use anymore. I have a ton of gizmo's, maybe it will help a member or two.
...I am sure you do and I am pretty sure it will LOL

vieri

The D300 can act as the commander. Wow, now that is cool
Yep - just raise the on-cam flash, and there you go - in the menu, you can set it as commander only (not contributing to the exposure) or use it as a flash AND a commander... way cool :D

Guy Mancuso

That is beyond way cool that is extremely useful. Just think you can hand hold the flash without a cord just hold the thing up.

vieri

That is beyond way cool that is extremely useful. Just think you can hand hold the flash without a cord just hold the thing up.
yep - plus, you can assign different groups (meaning, different levels of flash power) to various SB-800/600 from your D300, and there you go - main, fill, hair, whatever you need, right there; the only thing is, flahses must be in the line of sight of the D300's pop-up flash :D

One example here with the D2x: 1 SB-800 on-cam, not contributing to the exposure, and 2 SB-600 around...

(1 SB-600 is actually BELOW the machine, something near-impossible to do with a regular-sized flash head...)