The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How useful is Thumbs Up and/or Beep Boop Bip

peterm1

I just got an M8 recently and am wondering how useful the Thumbs Up accessory and Beep Boop Bip shutter buttons are: http://matchtechnical.com/default.aspx

If anyone has any specific feedback on any particular model, it would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a used M8 grip and don't necessarily want to overcomplicate my camera, but if they make a huge difference in usability I would be interested.

Thanks,

Peter

Lloyd

I have the grip and the original model Thumbs Up. I sometimes use both, but prefer just the TU. I find it very much like shooting my film Leicas, where I have my thumb pretty much constantly on the film advance lever. I find it easier, and more familiar to use the M8 that way.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I just got an M8 recently and am wondering how useful the Thumbs Up accessory and Beep Boop Bip shutter buttons are: http://matchtechnical.com/default.aspx

If anyone has any specific feedback on any particular model, it would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a used M8 grip and don't necessarily want to overcomplicate my camera, but if they make a huge difference in usability I would be interested.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter,

The ThumbsUp is really nice. I used my M8 for two years without one and one year with. I can't go back. My grip on the camera is more secure and I find that by using it, I don't place as much pressure on my fingers holding the front of the camera.

I even brought a ThumbsUp with me to Germany to use on the M9 during my test. Since seeing and trying mine on that trip, both Michael Reichmann and Phil Askey have started using them as well.

I personally use and recommend the CSEP-1, which has a 22 degree angle for maximum comfort and a cold shoe to use an external finder or hot-shoe bubble level (also extremely useful).

Good luck with your new M8.

David

Lloyd

I actually prefer the model David recommends as well. I just happened to pick up the original model used and cheap a couple of years ago.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Another big thumbs up for the thumbs up. I've got the grip plus a leather wrist strap and the Thumbs Up. I find I can carry the M8 around one handed that way and never worry about it slipping from my hand. The TU feels very natural after just a short time. Best accessory I've ever bought.

Peter Klein

Me too: The Thumbs-Up makes the M8 very easy to handle.

I am also a big fan of soft releases, as they help reduce camera shake at slow shutter speeds. They also help to take black pictures inside the camera bag, but I still like having the soft release. I got mine from Tom A.
http://rapidwinder.com/

I'm sure Tim's releases are good, too.

trisberg

Has anyone used both the Leica M8 grip and the MD-Grip from Photo Equip? If so, what are the differences in handling with these two grips?

-Thomas

d_brown

I'll also recommend the Thumbs Up. It is a nice replacement for the film advance lever that I miss on the M8. (Not for winding, but rather for counteracting the downward thrust. Especially with the jerky release in the M8. ) With the Thumbs Up, a soft release button and good technique, you can easily hand-hold the camera with a shutter speed one stop slower. I put the tip of my finger on the shutter speed dial and release the shutter with my knuckle. The soft release button is OK, but no better than those on eBay for one-fourth the price.

TU works well, is nicely made, and worth the price.

Dale

carstenw

I don't own a beep, bop or whatever, but I do own another brand of soft-release, which looks similar. I tried it for a while, but hated that it stuck up so much, and found it didn't help me at all. I guess it would be good to try it first, if possible.

John Black

I like the Thumbs Up and use the classic version (Model #1 - no cold shoe, nor the new ergonomic shape). I love it and it never comes off the M8. I use the A&A 1/2 case which makes the M8 a bit easier to hang on it. The Thumbs-Up really locks the M8 to my hand - very secure. I also have the A&A silk cord neck strap which loops around my wrist. The whole kit is very secure and makes a heavier lens like the 90 APO & 75 Lux exceptionally comfortable to hold. A big thumbs-up for the... sorry :)

jlancasterd

I had a Thumbs Up model 3 CS that I used on an M8 with a Leica Grip, and found this to be a combination which worked very well.

However, I later changed to using a TU CS EP mod 4 (the one with 2 accessory shoes) without the Leica grip and found that worked even better...!

I'm currently using the CS EP 4 with an M9 and find it just as useful as it was on the M8.

I've tried 'soft' releases like the Beep Boop Bip and don't get along with them...

cam

yet another thumbs up for the CSEP-1. it was recommended that i get one because i have some issues with my hand/grip due to an injury and put one on the M8 immediately and would never consider going without. i didn't realise how dependent i had become on the Thumbs Up until i tested out an M9 in-store and almost dropped it :eek:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I love the CSEP 1, and I use it and the grip at the same time. Gives me a very secure hold of the camera.

peterm1

Thanks everyone. I ordered the CSEP-1 and the Beep. Together with the grip it should help with holding the camera steady, although I hope it doesn't make it too bulky. I also ordered the Billingham Combination bag for M cameras - I thought my small Domke would be usuable but the M8 and lenses just get lost in it. Man these accessories are getting expensive! And now I am looking into a 1.25 magnifier eyepiece!

A

Artorius

Can someone post a picture of the CSEP4 on an M8 or M9? I'd love to know how it looks with the two shoes.
My M8 with CSEP Mod 4, PhotoEquip grip, and Boop here;

I have had the TU since it came out. I still use the Original Mod 1 on my M3.

I had the Leica grip, but found the PhotoEquip much more to my liking.(for me) It covers the entire bottom plate.

cam

Thanks everyone. I ordered the CSEP-1 and the Beep. Together with the grip it should help with holding the camera steady, although I hope it doesn't make it too bulky. I also ordered the Billingham Combination bag for M cameras - I thought my small Domke would be usuable but the M8 and lenses just get lost in it. Man these accessories are getting expensive! And now I am looking into a 1.25 magnifier eyepiece!
test your camera both with and without the grip after you get the CSEP-1. i personally feel that i have a better hold on the camera (especially with heavy lenses like the Nocti or the 75 Lux) with only the Thumbs Up -- it all has to do with hand position.

if i need a little help on the front, i prefer the Luigi case with a bump, rather than the one with a grip... IMO, the grips are only really useful in carrying the camera rather than when you're actually using them.

i never tried the Beep but did try one of TA's releases and did not like it on the M8 at all (love it to death on my M2). i found it kind of glitchy as the shutter on the classic M8 isn't very smooth. if you have one of the newer ones (M8.2, M9) it might be great though.

and i do love my 1.25X MAG -- LOL! the accessories do add up...