The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ken Rockwell resolution test (M9 vs D300s vs 5DII)

Vlad

KR's site cracks me up on many levels. It is completely simplified, no fancy CMS, all flat HTML files, massively interlinked, many pages outdated. However, his site has been around since the late 90's, and in Google's eyes, it's the authority on all things photography. I challenge you to search for any mainstream Nikon-related body, lens, accessory and not find KR's site in the Top 3. He was the early adopter to embrace the internet to take his opinions and share them with the world.

This said, he pulls a massive amount of affiliate revenue through B&H, Adorama, etc. Word on the affiliate marketing street is that he pulls 7 figures in revenue / month with B&H, which (assuming he's in the 4-5% tier) will make him between $40-50k a month off B&H alone. Add Ritz, Adorama, and whatever other program he's pushing (plus the Adsense clicks off his 100k+ uniques a day) and you have yourself a serious bidness.

If I was him, I'd preach my opinions too. There is plenty of suckers to listen to him closely and follow his buying advice. How is it really misleading if all you do is post personal opinions on the matter? It is up to everyone browsing a web site, a magazine, seeing a commercial, to determine whether or not you believe what is being presented. If you know better (like many of us do in regards to his "tests"), then you dismiss the drivel.

He's a successful business man, and I applaud him for it. If you're on top, you're going to have many people disagreeing with your business antics. KR ain't going anywhere.

Graham Mitchell

Ever since he listed the fact that a Zeiss lens cap weighs 1 gram* more than a Canon lens cap as a negative point for the Zeiss, I haven't been able to take him seriously. I think that was also the first of his articles I read ;)

*or whatever the actual weight difference is

V

Vivek

However, his site has been around since the late 90's, and in Google's eyes, it's the authority on all things photography. I challenge you to search for any mainstream Nikon-related body, lens, accessory and not find KR's site in the Top 3. He was the early adopter to embrace the internet to take his opinions and share them with the world.

This said, he pulls a massive amount of affiliate revenue through B&H, Adorama, etc. Word on the affiliate marketing street is that he pulls 7 figures in revenue / month with B&H, which (assuming he's in the 4-5% tier) will make him between $40-50k a month off B&H alone. Add Ritz, Adorama, and whatever other program he's pushing (plus the Adsense clicks off his 100k+ uniques a day) and you have yourself a serious bidness.

If I was him, I'd preach my opinions too.

He's a successful business man, and I applaud him for it.
That about sums it up for me.

Absolutely, positively, a great talent. ;)

No doubt about it.

carstenw

I cannot believe that he is earning that much on commission, really. Either that, or he is even more of a knob than I previously thought, for asking people for extra donations on top. The way he talks about his budget vs. what he buys also tends to make me think that he makes more like $40-50k per year, and a little on the side from other stuff.

ampguy

web site stats show he's getting about 140K page views/day, could equal a couple to few hundred a day in ads, not counting click through equipment sales commissions.

I like a few of his articles, agree with him on some of them. But my ultimate slam ever was when someone on a blog I used to contribute to recommended I go check out his site for gear advice :D

I cannot believe that he is earning that much on commission, really. Either that, or he is even more of a knob than I previously thought, for asking people for extra donations on top. The way he talks about his budget vs. what he buys also tends to make me think that he makes more like $40-50k per year, and a little on the side from other stuff.

Vlad

I have worked in online affiliate marketing for about 10 years now, and I can tell you that he's making well above and beyond the sum you suggested. I know for a fact that he has a special affiliate tier agreement with B&H.

Beats me why he's still begging for donations.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have worked in online affiliate marketing for about 10 years now, and I can tell you that he's making well above and beyond the sum you suggested. I know for a fact that he has a special affiliate tier agreement with B&H.

Beats me why he's still begging for donations.
There's no limit to greed ... why stop with just the affiliate stuff if it works for him.

What I'm disappointed about is the shameless plugs on Reichmann's site for his lightroom videos in the middle of his initial M9 articles. It's almost as if he's picking up on KR tactics.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
OK, now I'm just annoyed with myself for actually looking at that 'test' on KR. What utter BS.

My D3x & AF-S 50/1.4 G would absolutely crush that feeble set of images by KR. If my foliage shots looked that bad I'd have sent both back long ago. My Zeiss 50/2 would have been even sharper.

AS for the 27MP 'equivalent'. I'm still sitting here in shock.

What a crock ....

etrigan63

KR's methodology reminds me of my first college physics book: Beiser Physics. As an into level textbook, many of the problems were simplified for the sake of clarity. For example: a Russian aristocrat zeppeliner accidentally drops his samovar out of the gondola at 10000m. What is the final velocity when the tea-kettle finally lithobrakes? Well, the final answer was some ridiculous velocity because the problem fails to take into account terminal free-fall velocity. And if you take into account the mass of a fully loaded 400l brass samovar (500kg), the kinetic energy yield was equivalent to 49 megajoules. (While this number sounds impressive it actually equated to about 23 lb. of TNT.)

While this simplified the math, if the student is left with that information alone then things get a little squirrelly.

monza

Ken is brilliant. All these threads all over the net claiming he knows not of which he speaks, yet he laughs all the way to the bank. :)

V

Vivek

Robert, I have a feeling that even the laughing part he would do in a calculated way.

Why bother if that won't bring in any extra cash?:ROTFL: