The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50mm Summilux vs Summilux-M pre-ASPH?

bradhusick

Just FYI - the cat's meow is the LHSA 50 summilux asph. It's the old knurled style brass with the modern optics of the current tabbed lux asph. They were offered in silver over brass or black paint over brass, each with black vented hoods. They came with the LHSA MP3 kits and were also made in runs of 500 each as separate lenses. Here's a photo of the silver, currently listed on ebay for $4580.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Those look nice, and some might think they handle better, but man, 4580 versus around 2000 on the used market for the same lens? 2580 dollars for a scalloped focusing ring is a heck of a lot of money.

I have both the pre-asph and the ASPH -- the pre-asph was my father's, and I cannot bring myself to sell it. I have to agree with Carsten though -- the 50 ASPH has really nothing wrong with it optically -- the lens is superbly sharp at all ranges, has nice bokeh, strongly resists flare, and is rather compact.
The pre-asph is also nice, but it is certainly not as sharp, particularly in the edges of the image. The bokeh can be lovely, but it can also be a bit "crazy", which I happen to like. You see it in the background a bit in drazin's image above, and it is also evident in this one here. My brother in law is a bit of a goof in front of the camera...here is the 50/1.4 pre-asph:

And here is a kind of similar background, taken with the 50/1.4 ASPH

Notice how the tree leaves in the background remain rather smooth, where in the pre-asph they get that stronger ring effect.

Overall, they are both very good lenses, but the 50/1.4 ASPH is in a different league when it comes to corner to corner sharpness below f/5.6. It is extremely sharp even out to the corners at 1.4 -- no other lens I have used is so good at 1.4. I think it is the better buy overall, particularly for use on digital like the M8 and M9. If you just want a soft dreamy lens, get a summarit.

stevem8

Just FYI - the cat's meow is the LHSA 50 summilux asph. It's the old knurled style brass with the modern optics of the current tabbed lux asph. They were offered in silver over brass or black paint over brass, each with black vented hoods. They came with the LHSA MP3 kits and were also made in runs of 500 each as separate lenses. Here's a photo of the silver, currently listed on ebay for $4580.
I had the BP version of this lens and it was the best lens I have ever owned. I sold it and when I bought a normal 50 Lux ASPH later it was just not the same in regards to sharpness/contrast. That LHSA version is amazing. At least mine was. Im an idiot for selling it.

Stuart Richardson

That may be, but it shouldn't be! They are optically and mechanically identical (internally anyway). I think maybe you just got an out of spec one in your subsequent version.

francishmt

OKAY, all this talk makes me really really want the ASPH version, especially if it is in chrome.

Anyone willing to part with one??

D&A

Francis....and while you're looking for your 50mm ASPH, I've started looking for a mint 50mm pre ASPH (e46), probably last version before ASPH. Anyone willing to part at a good price? I have the new VC 50mm f1.2...extremely nice but now going for a very compact kit instead.

Henry Goh

I have a 50mm f/1.4 Summilux that has minimum focus of 0.7m in my cabinet. I bought it new to collect so it is totally mint with box and all. I should be putting it on ebay in the next few weeks when I find the time to get some photos done and listing it. I'll also be listing a 75mm f/1.4 which is also mint but I lost the box when I travelled back from London. The lens was purchased from a shop that replaced Hove Camera. I used to buy leica stuff from Hove Camera when I lived there in the 1970s.

ampguy

Hi Dave, I've got a very late E46 German black paint one with latest style box, papers, case, caps. I use it, so can't call it mint, but like new with box (and all other bits). Can't see any signs of wear or use on it. Focuses perfectly on my M8, M6, and RD1. Not coded, but comes with a new Leica 46 UV/IR filter. There's an ad in the classifieds, I'll try to find it and bump it, or you can pm me.

Photo of the lens is here

and some images I took with it last July are here

Without a doubt it's my favorite 50, or at least a tie with the Noct., but I need to sell it to fund an M9.

Ted

Francis....and while you're looking for your 50mm ASPH, I've started looking for a mint 50mm pre ASPH (e46), probably last version before ASPH. Anyone willing to part at a good price? I have the new VC 50mm f1.2...extremely nice but now going for a very compact kit instead.