The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 and 75lux Samples

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Just like my previous thread on the CV50/1.1, I thought that I'd post several samples of the M9 with the 75lux because I haven't seen too many photos yet with the combination.

As a caveat, the 75lux has always been one of my all-time favorite lenses. That being said, I always found the lens to be just a bit too long for me on the M8. So, I was somewhat apprehensive to try the lens on my M9 that arrived on Friday ... no one likes to see one of their favorites knocked down a peg or two.

To see how the 75lux would feel on the M9 and help others decide whether or not it might be a lens they would want to consider, I thought that I'd spend some time this weekend putting together some shots in a variety of conditions. I happen to be someone that likes to shoot wide-open so most of the samples I put together are wide-open or very close to wide-open.

On the M8, I used a magnifier and often struggled with pinpoint focus when using the 75lux. I didn't even need to bother on the M9 as focus was fast and accurate on the M9 ... I'm not certain why that is, but it got to the point that I didn't even think to worry about my accuracy with the 75lux. (My copy of the 75lux isn't pinpoint accurate, but there is enough room in the in-focus zone right now for me not to worry about it in the near-term.)

Anyway, here's a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mequon/sets/72157622521765512/

Kurt

Rolo

Very generous of you, Kurt. Appreciated. :)

The 75mm 'Lux is a fabulous lens and the M8/M9 provide the feedback necessary to master it's idiosyncrasies.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Great stuff Kurt - thanks very much for sharing these. I'm very interested in how this lens performs on the M9.

Did you add the vignetting for effect, or was it in the raw image right out of the camera? Is your 75 lux 6-bit coded? If not, did you enter the lens code in manual setting?

I'm curious to see how the M9 applies corrections for this lens, and your three samples shown above all contain very noticable vignetting.

Thanks,
Mike

ampguy

Thanks Kurt, very nice. My eyes, and monitor are probably not as good as Mike's, but I don't see vignetting, except maybe in the photo of statues in the white hallway.

Mike - not sure of the technical explanation for this, but I've observed it, and Sean Reid has documented it, but sometimes vignetting with certain lenses occurs more on crop systems than on full frame (my observations are FF film, and M8/RD1 with some of the CV lenses). So I'd try to look at examples on all systems to judge a lens - 4/3, M8, RD1, film, and of course, the M9.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I see vignette, but I actually like the look. I am interested in the settings that Mike inquired about.
Thanks for sharing these, Kurt. The 75 lux is one of my all-time favorites.

stevem8

Thanks for the Samples Kurt! My M9 finally arrives tomorrow. Cant wait to spend more time with it.

Steve

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
No problem, Rolo. :) Lots of reviews of this and that out there ... sometimes I know I just want to look at pictures to see how a lens is drawing on a camera ... small jpegs that they are.

Thanks for the comment, Mike. The 75lux that I have does not have coding. I've been using the 75/1.4 setting in the menu. On the couple of black and white images, there is a bit of vignetting added via a black and white option. Remember that most of the images are wide open, so that means that I've dialed back exposure a bit to compensate for a couple of bright/overcast fall days.

Thanks Ampguy.

Hi Cindy, hope all is well. If you still have a 75, you'll love it on the M9 ... I can't get enough of the combination. It allows me to get enough separation between the subjects and background to have them stand-out.

Steve, can't wait to see what you're going to be able to deliver with the M9. It's like Christmas in October.

Kurt

cam

Kurt,

can you do a close-up wide open?

all your shots are too far away for me to really get a good feel for the draw... i plan on testing it for myself when my friends get their M9's, but Paris has seen any yet (other than the showroom).

i in no way mean it as a criticism -- i am really grateful you put these up! i just also know what i am dying to see. thank you!

Knorp

Thank you Kurt for showing us some samples. Since a week I'm a happy 75lux owner. It does great on my M8 so I'm really looking forward to find out what it can do on the M9. Like CAM I love to see some close-ups.

still queuing for my 'titanium'

Stuart Richardson

Agreed, thanks for the images Kurt. The 75 lux and 35 lux asph have been my favorite lenses on the film M's since I got them. I am so excited to use them again on full frame digital (I still use them on film of course). I just need to get my hands on an M9!

K

KJB

the shot with the wedding photographer using the fong modifier with flash pointed up is classic...:wtf:

Paratom

Hi Kurt,
thanks for posting these.
2 Questions:
1) How do you feel the Nokton 50mm and the 75lux do compare in drawing etc? Similar/ different/...
2) Do you feel you can focus the 75lux reliabel wide open or does it show some slight focu shift when stepping down?

Regards, Tom

Scargos2

Are you guys fooling Us! I have check every on line store and checked Leica Us web page> There is no such lens as a
75 mm 1.4 Lux anywhere

B

borzoi86

Thanks for posting the photos but for me, the 75 'Lux was always too heavy. I sold mine the same week the 75 'Cron was announced and have been happy-happy-happy ever since.