The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Filters with your M9

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
As much as I hated the thought of sticking another surface to air element in front of my Leica glass........I have grown comfortable with the Uv/Ir filters. One thing I really like is the ability to keep the lens with hood attached and no lens cap. Each time I mount the lens ..out of habit ...I whip the filter with a leica cleaning cloth. (around the ocean I have to wash off the filters after every shoot). So there is some advantage to have at least plain glass in front of the lens. (even if I have to take them off for night work).

The longer lenses with the extendable hoods (50 and up) probably will go back to caps. But for the 28 summicron and 35 summilux I will need E46 filters. B+W seems to have a thin plain glass multicoated filter? Any ideas or is the consensus to go without?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have ordered BW uv filters for all my lenses.
Tim which ones did you go for? they have a new mount XS but the smallest size is 49mm and of course we most need the 46mm . the other decision is Uv verse clear glass....the advantage of the clear glass is higher transmission 99.5% and thinner glass

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A few notes on filters...

1) Hoya and B+W now use the same optics :)))

2) Higher end B+W has brass rings which are HUGELY preferable to the Hoya aluminum.

3) Hoya "thin" models are still aluminum but retain front threads, B+W brass thin do not :(

4) There is a "new" totally clear filter from both companies with a "hydro-repelling" front coating. Supposedly sheds water like a ducks butt, which sounds awesome in concept, but I have not personally tested them for resolution yet -- maybe somebody will have one in Oregon...

4a) Corollary: A while back, Zeiss did some test on filters and resolution loss for their Heliopan line. They found that their MRC while reducing flare to almost nil, also reduced the resolving power of their best lenses by measurable amounts. They then ceased production and returned to single-coated offerings as the best choice for optical performance. This effectively killed the Heliopan line of filters due to the marketing success of MRC type filters by Hoya and B+W. Go figure.

5) As a result of all of the above, I generally do not use filters. The exception is when shooting in wet or dirty environments -- where filters help make keeping the front end of my lenses clean more convenient. Since I only use them occasionally, I use the Hoyas. However, if I was going to leave them on 24/7, I would use B+W with brass rings.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Jack

Interesting insights . The new B+W clear filers the XS line I believe is thin 3mm and has the front thread. They offer the new thin clear glass but I am sure its multicoated.
Unfortunately smallest size is 49mm and the lenses that really need it are the 28 and 35 because I want to keep the hood in place and the leica hood covers will be lost on the first shoot.

Without the filter I will have to fine some sort of cap for the lens that is secure . Right now I use a beer cover and a rubber band ...thats a $1 solution .

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
4) There is a "new" totally clear filter from both companies with a "hydro-repelling" front coating. . . . maybe somebody will have one in Oregon
Jack, I was trying to get one of these to bring to Oregon but the one I needed was out-of-stock or special order. I still may locate one so we can try it.

jonoslack

HI Roger
Like Carsten, I'm going naked.
With Respect to the 28 cron, I had a flash of inspiration recently, and I no longer use the lens hood at all . . . if there's likely to be flare then I use my hand (which works better anyway), and then I use the simple lens cap at the front. Suddenly my lovely 28 'cron is a tiny lens, and I don't have problems with the viewfinder. As for flare? don't seem to be getting it.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Any observations on the leica filters . The uv/ir filters seem to Hoya with aluminum mounts? Is that right?

The big plus for filters for me is the protection....with an inexpensive metal hood and a clear filter ...the lens is well protected on the street. When you work with two bodies ..it hard not to ever bump something and the filters have saved me from having nicks in the lens itself .

I would like to shoot at night without the filter as flare can be a problem but during the day filters are not a big deal.

Just a small item in revising the kit for the M9 ..now if I could just get the 2nd body (to avoid the uv/ir filters all together).