The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 Preview on Dpreview

Terry

They talk about what I've liked about it since the beginning the pared back interface like the M8 and I love the dials on top for the Aperture and Shutter speed. If this camera had a m4/3 mount I would buy it in a second. Arrrrgh I know it is going to be good but 35mm only just isn't my shooting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So is it only me that's wondering why they made a fixed-lens APS camera instead of using the exact same concept in a micro 4/3rds cam with interchangeable lenses?

V

Vivek

So is it only me that's wondering why they made a fixed-lens APS camera instead of using the exact same concept in a micro 4/3rds cam with interchangeable lenses?
I guess that would be a majority thought.

I do not think they can compete with the m4/3rds with this kind of prices.

Lovely design though! :p

A.Sattler

Did anyone see the picture of the knurled ring at the base of the lens removed ? It covers threading around the lens. Their explanation is that this is to accommodate an adaptor and future accessories.
Also explaining why the lens wasn't made with control rings for aperture, focus, etc.
I wonder how useful this would be ? Would there be a negative effect on the images it produced ?
I used to have a Nikon p&s that had this setup, but I must confess that I never used it. Actually, I never even tried it.

AS

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I do not think they can compete with the m4/3rds with this kind of prices.
Maybe, but at least I'd seriously consider an M-/3rds version of the above camera with a Leica 17mm f2.0 lens. And thinking about it as long as it took me to write this, would probably buy something like that NOW at that price!

My .02...

V

Vivek

Maybe, but at least I'd seriously consider an M-/3rds version of the above camera with a Leica 17mm f2.0 lens. And thinking about it as long as it took me to write this, would probably buy something like that NOW at that price!

My .02...
Sure thing. I agree. :)

By the time Leica catches up to the mirrorless camera concept..the market will be flooded with many many other brands.

I would still welcome any lenses that Leica may end up making for the others. :thumbs:

jonoslack

Interesting indeed.
Now we have a digital CM, presumably next year there will be a X zoom, and then a CL equivalent with an M mount to take interchangeable lenses (well, they'd hardly do it now having just released the M9 would they?)

Seems logical to me, especially having got this far.

N

nei1

Real leicas are 3x2;thats it.If the IQ is good with a wider dynamic range than the M8(quite possible apparently)and the autofocus is quick,YOU ARE ALL going to buy one,and you know it.:D

pellicle

someone will yell at me for this, but looking at the top deck of this camera

I am wondering why its been so long since other makers have had such a simple design?

I would love this arrangement on all my cameras, why hasn't the GF1 got this?

also, I totally love the on screen histogram ...

its usable, well sized and has a 'scale' along the bottom. Total thumbs up. I never could get used to the square block of the Panasonic ... its unusable to me.

N

nei1

This style of camera is for taking shots of people,not landscapes or still life;if the exposure is longer than a 30tyuth you need a different camera.If you feel you need anti-shake this camera is not for you,buy a panasonic G something,its much better as an all purpose camera,much better.Alot of you like the idea and prestige of a leica M but you know that really you take better photos using something else,seems a little silly to pretend .

jonoslack

Real leicas are 3x2;thats it.If the IQ is good with a wider dynamic range than the M8(quite possible apparently)and the autofocus is quick,YOU ARE ALL going to buy one,and you know it.:D
:) I'm not :p

Just like I'm not buying an S2 (wonderful though it may be)

N

nei1

:cool:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,that can only be because you dont hold out much hope for it;youre the man with the inside information Jono,spill the beans!:cool:

V

Vivek

I will buy one if someone sells it to me for $50.

OK, let us make it $150/- because of the super-duper pop-up flash.:)

jonoslack

:cool:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,that can only be because you dont hold out much hope for it;youre the man with the inside information Jono,spill the beans!:cool:
I know exactly as much as you do Neil - the reason I don't want one is that 35mm really isn't my focal length.

Now then, if they brought out one with an M mount . . .