The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've relaunched my website

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Everything in the post may not be new to most of you, but I thought I would share my experience in putting together a website. I'm computer literate but not a geek. I don't speak html and don't care to learn, and don't have the time to master any of the web authoring software.

I've had several goes at a website - I put together a .mac site some time ago. It's slow and not very flexible, and of course as of July is no longer supported by Apple. I hired a professional developer to deal with some of my images which are organized as triptychs and have captions. She solved these problems but her design was otherwise lackluster - I've never gone live with it. And of course I've experimented with flickr and other similar sites, but layouts are noisy and there is not a path to develop a more personal or personalized approach.

I had subscribed to hosting service a few years ago; got my own domain (www.woodycampbell.com) and a number of similar domains; but I couldn't really figure out how put a website on it. So I set up a redirect at woodycampbell.com to my .mac home page. That's how it worked up until a few days ago.

I spent the last couple of days working with a Lightroom add on called The Turning Gate which permits you to develop a home page and galleries all within Lightroom. It's extremely flexible, which contributes to a steep learning curve and in the end you have to figure out what the file structure is on your server and how the various modules inter-relate, all pretty much on your own. (The "Websites for Dummies" types of books don't go into these basics; the help function on my web hosting service was very rudimentary).

The payoff having mastered it is that I can upload new galleries from Lightroom and they are automatically integrated into my site, with no incremental effort over the effort involved in editing the images in the first place.

The author of The Turning Gate recently reported that he would be off line for a bit because he was graduating from college and is moving. Go figure.

Over the next few weeks I'll add some fairly extensive text and work on some behind the scenes stuff to make the site easier to find.

Now the point of this post: have any of you had any experience, good or bad, with Lightroom web add-ins? Now that I have some idea of how it works I'd very much like to push the site up to the next level.

Finally, to our moderators, I put this post here out of affection for our Leica shooters and respect for their judgment - if there is a better place please feel free to move it.

You can find the new site by clicking through the link below my signature.

Thanks.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Woody I looked at your site and I like it, I like your photography too. I also ended my site (two days ago) and I'm looking for an alternative. Do you have a link to their site? Keep us up on how you progress.

thrice

I use fotoplayer pro for my website, it is a lightroom add-in but I've found it needs quite a bit of html/xml knowledge as the pre-set defaults don't always get imported and I get rubbish like "trial version" on some of my stuff if I don't manually edit it. I honest to god purchased a pro license :p

It has a shopping cart system linked to my paypal. It isn't very elaborate, eventually I would like to add a way for people to visualise the size of their print, maybe a diagram. Adding extra pages and galleries is easy and I've disabled a LOT of stuff as I simply haven't had time to properly impliment it.

http://www.aeos-photo.com.au Almost all taken with my leica R lenses.

Maarten

Last weekend I also bought TTG Pages and a template called High Slide for the galleries from the same author. I've been looking around for quite some time and the plugin called TTG Pages in found the best and easiest to use so far. My only problem was to find a way to easily save the changes I made.

The "TTG Pages" plugin just created the pages (Home, Gallery Index, About, and Contact by default) and you have the option to add a couple of others to the menu which you have to create manually yourself. The galleries itself, which require a separate plugin, can be uploaded to a directory within the structure TTG Pages creates and is automagically added to the page Gallery Index. You can use any gallery template for the galleries itself. These can be bought/downloaded separately. Lightroom itself provides some in the default install.

I find the TTG Pages plugin quite flexible in some ways but rigid in others. Many webdesign decisions are already made for you. You can tweak colors, fonts, some distances or placements. But for example I haven't found a way to make the menu align vertical instead of horizontal.

I'm still working on my new homepage. The current one is made with SlideShowPro which has also a plugin for Lightroom available, btw.

Edit: I almost forgot to say how much I like you collection of photos! Really nice. This is what it is really all about in the end.

gero

Woody, impressive everything; I have seen a lot of your rangefinder experience through this forum but never your work so finished as in this site.

congratulations

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Mwalker and Maarten. The Turning Gate = TTG. TTG Pages and TTG Galleries are exactly the modules that I used, using the "Whiteout" templates, modified as you see them on my site. Actually very slick.

I'm assigning more descriptive keywords to the images in LR and saving them to the files. This is resulting in some key word proliferation. For search purposes t's useful for me to keyword "Russia" and "St. Petersberg" but much less so to keyword "The Hermitage". so I'm collecting all of the detailed keywords under a "Web content" master key word. I assume that after I write the keywords to the files and upload them, the keywords end up in the jpegs on the site, but I'll research this.

A question: does anyone know the syntax to make my email address act like a live link to the user's preferred email program?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Half frame - Thanks. I've specified jpeg high quality 1300x1300 images, which is large by web standards but seemed to make sense given that most of the images print on 24x36 or so paper. If this makes the site too slow for most people I'll have to reconsider a smaller file size.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
A question: does anyone know the syntax to make my email address act like a live link to the user's preferred email program?
Here's an example of HTML that will hide the actual email address allowing you to make an email link for just your name (or whatever text you wish):

<a href="mailto:[email protected]">the Author [Dave]</a>

The words between the second and third carrot will appear as a link and when activated, the user's email client will open with the correct email address in the "To:" line.

kalex

Woody - very nice pictures. quick question. Looking at the TTG site you used TTG pages. But I can find which gallery you used? can you let me know which one it was?

thanks

Alex

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody - very nice pictures. quick question. Looking at the TTG site you used TTG pages. But I can find which gallery you used? can you let me know which one it was?

thanks

Alex
TTG Highslide Gallery PRO 1.7, using the whiteout template, which I customized.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Woody

Did you ever look at zenfolio. With the premium service you can use your own domain name . There is an upload interface from Lightroom..I have not used it . I use my site for everything now and even have started to upload some of my work in progress.(its helps me visualize the end product). You can also upload larger file sizes which improves somewhat the IQ.

kalex

That is true. Right now I'm in the process of deciding whether to do it myself or use something like smugmug service. I think TTG Pages will work for me. I already have web hosting space that I'm paying for so I might as well do this myself. Just checked TTG and prices have gone up :) its now $65 for the combo.

thanks for your help btw.

Alex

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody

Did you ever look at zenfolio. With the premium service you can use your own domain name . There is an upload interface from Lightroom..I have not used it . I use my site for everything now and even have started to upload some of my work in progress.(its helps me visualize the end product). You can also upload larger file sizes which improves somewhat the IQ.
I have a zenfolio account that I use for weddings, parties and the like, where I upload more images than I would if I were editing critically. It works very well, but doesn't permit much customization of look.