The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wired article on Leica

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Having never been there in person, I found the images that go with the article pretty interesting.

One sentence stuck out for me: "News agencies have minimum standards for image size, and due to its smaller sensor, the M8 would have been unattractive to agency photographers, because it didn’t have enough megapixels." What are the minimum standards for image size being alluded to in that statement?

A

alexanderruas

Having never been there in person, I found the images that go with the article pretty interesting.

One sentence stuck out for me: "News agencies have minimum standards for image size, and due to its smaller sensor, the M8 would have been unattractive to agency photographers, because it didn’t have enough megapixels." What are the minimum standards for image size being alluded to in that statement?
I was told by my stock/archive agencies here in Scandinavia that I had to use full format sensors.
I keep using the M8 for editorial work, portraits, fashion, street, personal etc..
when I shoot corporate & advertising or for the stock/archive agency I use my Canon 5D.

ps. that is my justification for buying an M9!! yippie!!!
;-)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Hi Tim,
it depends on many variables (part of the world, intended use etc.) but around 50Mb file size is what's common nowadays. Roughly 5500 pix longest size @300dpi.

Of course requirements are not exactly the same for beauty or products (it can go way up esp if MF is mandatory) than say,war reporters standards (lower by nature).

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks gents. I feel like I should have known that, but am still a bit surprised. Seems like a great justification for an M9 though! :)

thrice

The machine that plots on the monitor in a 3d display the trasmission qualities of an element/lens is pretty fancy lookin'.