The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 & 90mm which one ?

Scargos2

For all the photographers with a M9 and looking for a 90mm Leica lens at
f2 or f2.8 which one should we all be looking for ?

I see price all over the place form $500 to $1,300

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
The current version (90 Summicron APO) will typically run around $1,800 - $2,000 used these days. It is razor sharp, and a fantastic lens.

If you want to pick up a 90 on a budget, the older versions of the Summicron (non-APO), or the Elmarit (f2.8) are also very good. They have more "leica glow" (lower contrast and sharpness) wide-open, and so are appealing as portrait lenses. They get quite sharp by f5.6 and so are also good for landscapes.

Personally, I have both a 90 APO and an older 90 Elmarit. For most shooting, I use the 90 APO, but for dreamy portraits, I pull out an older 90 Elmarit and shoot wide open.

Paratom

I use the 90/2.8 and it works very good for me. I do not really feel limited to not have f2.0
If I had to buy new I would buy a Summarit based on my experience with the 75 Summarit and based on what I have seen in the internet.

The 90cron asph would be nice as well, but I see it more as a special lens for isolating the subject and low light.

Dont forget that the so called glow can show as dull images sometimes as well.
I know many people do have a different opinion but for my part I prefer the 75 Summarit over the 75 Summilux for that reason.

For me the Summarits are just the right mixture between the older, softer, less contrasty look and the newer more contrasty, sharper asph look.
Also the transition between the focus plane/sharp plane and the out of focus areas seem really nice with the Summarits.
The disadvantage would be the f2.5 instead of f2.0 (however f2.5 seems fully usable and pretty sharp), the longer minimum focusing distance, and eventually the hood. (Personally I do like the fixed hood-very solid and good protection for the lens)

Double Negative

Not Available
Go for the Leica 2,8/90 Elmarit-M. It's an absolute STEAL, all things considered. It's a Leica, it's stupid sharp and has a lovely character... And you can pick them up second hand for around $700+!

carstenw

I have the Apo 90 and it is truly fantastic. It is above the price-range mentioned though. The pre-Asph 90 is also meant to be very good, as is the newest Elmarit, so any of those would be a good bet. The older versions are more for their special look, I think, rather than their excellence.

cam

i typically like older lenses, but must admit i fell in love with 90 APO i tried...

part of the problem was all the other 90's i got to try were off on my camera and i tried a whole bunch (at least 12, probably more) at a few photo shows. the only other in proper calibration was a gorgeous chrome Fat Elmarit that cost too much because it was a collectible... sigh.

my advice is, if it's at all possible, check these out on your body before you make a decision.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My experience with buying 90's pretty matches yours. I went through several 90 'crons (pre-APO) and they seemed to have a pretty wide spread regarding front/back focusing with my M8. I finally found one that I was happy with but ultimately ended up picking up a 90 Elmarit-M instead.

The 90 'cron non-APO has a definite Leica 'glow' wide open that I didn't notice with the later 'cron or the Elmarit-M. For my landscape type of shooting this wasn't ideal, although I'm sure for portraiture it's a more positive attribute.