The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21 lux anyone?

Paratom

I have been tempted by the 21 Lux and 24 Lux but so far on the M9 I dont really feel limited with the Elmarits and now feel nearly sure that I will stay with those.
You can handhold pretty long exposure with those wides.

And regarding the shallow DOF effekt I believe it is not such a factor with this focal length.
IMO on the M8 the 24lux made more sense than on the M9.
I like to have f1.4 in my 50mm lens, but dont really feel the need for the really wide lenses.
Now we can discuss about character and drawing but even here I am more than happy with the 21/2.8asph.

I only could see to benefit from the 21lux if I did shoot very very very much in very low light in tight situations.
If money was unlimited I would love to own one anyways though.

I'm still deciding if this one is for me. I'm using the Voigtlander VF but have not pushed this lens like I need to. Lots of cash tied up in something I feel I've only taken "OK" photos with.

This was taken with the 21 Lux, M6, Tri-x. A "safe" shot at around f/5.6 if I remember correctly.

Another safe one shot at f/8 or f/11 ...I can't remember. Fuji 400H.

This snap of my dog was maybe f/1.4 or f/2. Again, I just don't have the mental EXIF data to keep up with it all. Fuji 400H.

Overall, sure, I love using it but I'm finding myself not using this in the low-light situations I thought I would be. Any of these could have been done nicely with the Elmarit IMHO.

I'm looking forward to seeing others' examples, myself.

:thumbup:

I agree that both the 21 and 24/1.4 lenses make more sense on the M8 than M9. In fact, my decision is to either get the 21/1.4 for my M8 or get an M9, not both, (and perhaps neither at this time). I really like the idea of a "28mm" 1.4 for my M8. I use a 28/1.4 nikon on my D3 quite a lot, and I suspect the Leica will have much better IQ. But at the $$ss required, I may just dream about it! best....Peter