The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Grey Finish issues?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Anyone with the grey finish M9 having any paint issues? i.e. is it robust?

I'm starting to hear bad stories about the steel grey finish - enough to have me reconsider my choice and decision to wait for a grey camera. (Kind of annoying as I passed up on the Black M9 offered to me by my dealer this week!).

Anyone?

stevem8

So far its all rumors as there are not even more than what, 10-15 or so grey bodies out there??

I know of a couple of people who have the grey and they love it. No issues, but only time will tell.

Bangbang

It is new paint that leica just started to use on their cameras. Like the original black pain on M2, M3 camers, they became brassed easily. Maybe some people wil like it.

thrice

I heard today from someone with both grey and black demo cameras that the grey shows significantly more wear in the paint finish. It is my distinct impression that both cameras have seen equal use/evaluation.

PeterA

I heard today from someone with both grey and black demo cameras that the grey shows significantly more wear in the paint finish. It is my distinct impression that both cameras have seen equal use/evaluation.
Wondering what the material is under teh paint finish...hopefully brass -:)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, all I know is that something's up with the grey supply. My dealer called me on Friday to say that he'd chatted with our Leica rep and that the expected EARLIEST date that I'd see my grey M9 would be ... January/February 2010. By contrast, I should get a black one in the next week or two depending upon Leica's next delivery out to dealers. Btw, I ordered my camera prior to August 9th.

They didn't specifically say that the issue was with the grey finish but sure as heck implied it just about as far as an implication can be made.

wattsy

My London dealer (who is a little prone to exaggerate things but is essentially very trustworthy) claims he's already had two grey M9s returned with the paint coming off. Maybe Leica are concerned about how durable this paint is?

cdnguyen

Leica should give us black chrome, chrome or anthracite like on the M9 and leave the black paint as a la carte. I don't particular care for black paint or nay other paint as it wears too fast.

C_R

I have a grey one, no issues with the finish so far after heavy use during travel, and 1300 sots

jonoslack

How much extra are you willing to pay for the chrome finish?
Hi Carsten
Do you think it's more expensive? I would have thought that all of these finishes are pretty cheap to apply.

Mind you, I'm not sure what I'd prefer - certainly I like the look of ageing black paint better than ageing black chrome (and it certainly does age).

I guess the best of the finishes is silver chrome in terms of longevity, but it's only because the shininess and marks don't show as much as on the black.

I think the grey finish is a nice idea, and that's what I'm holding out for.

carstenw

Painting is cheap: spray and bake. Chroming in small batches would almost certainly be more expensive. I think that the brass parts are even nickel-plated first, but I am not sure about that. I was trying to point out that if a chrome edition becomes available one day, it might be at an extra cost, and knowing Leica, that cost would be higher than expected.

I truly believe that the grey/black paint is a cost-cutting measure, and I doubt they would have done it if it had only saved €100-200 per body... Releasing the M9 at only €1500 more than the M8.2 was a real coup for Leica, and probably contributes to the success.

jonoslack

I truly believe that the grey/black paint is a cost-cutting measure, and I doubt they would have done it if it had only saved €100-200 per body... Releasing the M9 at only €1500 more than the M8.2 was a real coup for Leica, and probably contributes to the success.
HI There
I just can't believe that nickel coating and plating could cost anything like that much (but what do I know).

Let's face it, black paint was always a more expensive option before!

I think they were just ringing the changes a little . . the top LCD, and the non-sapphire LCD I agree, but the paint? surely not.

Knorp

I think the grey finish is a nice idea, and that's what I'm holding out for.
Second that ... :thumbup:

HI There
I just can't believe that nickel coating and plating could cost anything like that much (but what do I know).
To give you an idea: paid €256,57 (ex VAT) for replacing my (silver) chrome M8 cover plate. Yes I'm guilty of bouncing my M to the ground ... :cry:

Let's just hope the quality of the steel-grey painting is not one of the reasons for the delay.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

carstenw

Jono, maybe you are right. After all, €256,57 for the top plate is a downright bargain, if you have seen it from the inside, like I have. I suppose it just saved a little bit then, and then were really going for €100 here, €100 there, to rein in the costs.

jonoslack

Second that ... :thumbup:

To give you an idea: paid €256,57 (ex VAT) for replacing my (silver) chrome M8 cover plate. Yes I'm guilty of bouncing my M to the ground ... :cry:

Let's just hope the quality of the steel-grey painting is not one of the reasons for the delay.

Kind regards.
Wow bart - that is cheap - I was quoted €159 for a base plate!

Let's hope it isn't the reason, and that if it is, they've sorted it and they've started shipping again.