The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New owner of Leica

kevinparis

neil

so you would be interested in a waterproof camera then :)

how waterproof?... RolexDivers watch waterproof or just wont go fttzzz in the rain water resistant

without design there is nothing to make... making something is easy if it has been designed and engineered properly.

K

N

nei1

"or just wont go fttzzz in the rain water resistant"
Kevin,Id be happy with your anti "fttzzz"treatment.You see I grew up on the north cornish coast where one of the pensioners favourite activities was watching the cars slowly dissolve with rust.Now I know that cars are now galvanised against such evils and your modern day oldie has had to find other less energetic diversions but the thought of a beautiful M9 slowly having its circuits crossed by eating too much salt literally stops me in my tracks....... .....Neil

W

wbrandsma

Designing and producing is the easy part Kevin. The thinking prior to producing is the more difficult part. Lets plan a weekend in the Netherlands and finish some deals with some wine :D Better yet, lets do it this weekend :thumbup:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathon.... you can buy one of these today.... its called a pre owned M8 :)
Kevin, if I'd wanted an M8, I would have bought a used M8 already -- it's not as though there's a shortage of them.

It's the combination of M-mount lenses and an APS-C sensor that attracts me. I'm after a usable 1600 ISO, a decent viewfinder (electronic is fine), and the 42mm EFoV that I'd get with a 28mm lens on an APS-C sensor.

kevinparis

jonathon

was confused by by your insistence on a APS-C sensor which i thought was in the M8... but i now realise that the sensor in the M8 is actually bigger than that...

your wants are better ISO 1600 and a crop factor that makes a 28mm into a 42mm

understood

Understand in my Digital CL proposal I would keep the traditional viewfinder... just replace the rangefinder mechanism with something electronic that would show focus confirm

cheers

K

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
jonathon

was confused by by your insistence on a APS-C sensor which i thought was in the M8... but i now realise that the sensor in the M8 is actually bigger than that...

your wants are better ISO 1600 and a crop factor that makes a 28mm into a 42mm

understood

Understand in my Digital CL proposal I would keep the traditional viewfinder... just replace the rangefinder mechanism with something electronic that would show focus confirm

cheers

K
Yep, the M8 has a 1.33 crop factor that turns a 24mm into a 32mm EFoV, a 28mm into a 37mm EFoV, and a 35mm into a 47mm EFoV.

I don't care at all for the standard 35mm and 50mm fields of view on an M-series film camera or an M9. A 42mm field of view sits halfway between and is perfect. For me.

Of course, the traditional viewfinder with electronic focus confirm would be preferable -- I suggested an EVF as a compromise.

Any estimate as to when the Digital CL will ship?

N

neiltsubota

This is my first "post" here.

I have been reading (lurking) about Leicas and the "Dream Machine".

I guess someone sold a 'kidney for a camera' . I guess this was like the "Cash-for-Clunkers". I hope his kidney was in good health. 'Cause if it was a Leica Camera and Lens you are talking about $ 11,000.00 according to my estimates, $ 8,000 for the body and $ 3,000 for the 21mm F 1.x, and 50mm F 1.x......

Does this qualify for a government bail out program that I can get the "tax payers" to pay for my Leica Equipment ?......hmmmmm

:)

kevinparis

welcome neiltsubota

just remember around here some of the threads are not too serious... we are a friendly bunch on the whole and do tend to kid each other around...

This thread came about late one night when realising that the european lottery was a ridiculous amount of money, I kidded my Leica M8 owning partner that I would buy her more than an M9... I would buy the whole company.

The joke is that I am probably the last person to own/run Leica .... as I don't actually think they make good cameras... lenses yes but digital cameras no!!.... and I get a little tired sometimes of the 'magical/legendary/mystic' myth of the Leica

Anyway as I didn't win the 77 million euro jackpot... I invested the 20 euros I did win on more tickets for this weeks draw where the prize is 100 million euros...

So when I win I will be able to buy Leica AND Voigtlander.....

Muhawawawa

Kevin
Stroking a white cat in his secret volcanic base

wolverine

As the european lottery jackpot is this week standing at 77 million euro and of course i have bought the winning ticket... I have decided to buy Leica... .not the camera... the whole damn company

any suggestions on what changes i should make.. Apart from dropping the silly S2 project and telling them to make the x-1 with an m-mount?

yours in jest... or maybe not

K
Cut prices in half which create sales more than twice the price cut and you get your investment back in a few years. For the life of me I cannot understand why lenses are 3 to 5 grand for m, and approaching the stratosphere for the S2. It forces a robust used market and restricts new sales. Cut prices and sell more, profits increase, r&d creates more value because you can invest more, everyone is happy, and you get a client base that will carry you into the future. This is not rocket science. Hanging on to the past will only give you great memories and a bankrupt company as technology changes pass you by. I get the elite status of leica. The lenses are incredible. But the elite status was built when the world population was half its current size. You need more customers to keep the brand going. Otherwise, in the long run, they will be selling m lenses for 10 grand just to make next week's payroll. :angel::ROTFL::banghead::argue::deadhorse:

carstenw

Cut prices in half which create sales more than twice the price cut and you get your investment back in a few years.
I think you forgot to factor in the actual cost of the object. At half the price, the S2 would likely be sold at a massive loss. Half the price, double the volume works well for things like software, but not for cameras as expensive to make as Leicas. And this is even forgetting to mention that Leica has limited production-capacity.

N

nei1

Dying to see a special edition Hanna Montana M9.
We now have the "black pope" edition of the olympus ep2 so leica will have to top that with the "GOD" limited(just the one presumably)edition.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) Tell them to bring a digital R10 to the market now. Just stick a good sensor in a R9 and dont put any further R&D cost in it. (...)
Check :thumbup:

I'm completely with you on this, Tom. Keep it simple and affordable.

kevinparis

I think you forgot to factor in the actual cost of the object. At half the price, the S2 would likely be sold at a massive loss. Half the price, double the volume works well for things like software, but not for cameras as expensive to make as Leicas. And this is even forgetting to mention that Leica has limited production-capacity.
Its the cost/method of manufacturing that seems to me to be the area they really need to address. There was a factory tour video recently that gave an insight into the process. It seems like the bodies are made in portugal, shipped to germany, taken apart, sensor added, then endlessly tested and adjusted. They were quite proud of the fact that it took 8 hours to make a camera.... 8 hours at probably 50 euros an hour in labor costs thats 400 euros per camera.

Even with all that they still don't always come out right. I know someone who got his M9 home to find that the sensor was cracked in the corner.

K

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
To me it looks like Leica has deliberately chosen to be a luxury brand, so to say the "Mont Blanc among pens", the "Cartier among watches", the "Bentley among cars" etc.
And if Leica earns a lot of money that way, it definitely makes a lot of sense for Leica to take that position and follow that strategy.