The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New owner of Leica

kevinparis

As the european lottery jackpot is this week standing at 77 million euro and of course i have bought the winning ticket... I have decided to buy Leica... .not the camera... the whole damn company

any suggestions on what changes i should make.. Apart from dropping the silly S2 project and telling them to make the x-1 with an m-mount?

yours in jest... or maybe not

K

M

meilicke

Would giving the x-1 an M mount not that make it a bigger camera with the required range finder mechanisms?

-Scott

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The biggest issue is actually the easiest to understand... abandon trying to manufacture everything in Germany. Produce two cameras lines in Solms ..the M series and the S series. Focus those two product lines on best in class performance and "SERVICE". Keep working on the lens lines to always have the best . New products every two years keep current with technology. Establish a Leica "certified program" for used equipment including lenses and expect to make money on service. Build the X1 and other high end compact cameras with a partner in Japan to Leica standards. Come up with a $2500 M mount camera and a line of lenses like the summarits designed for an APS-C sensor and priced like the zeiss zm line but made in Japan or maybe Portugal or heres a wild thought how about the USA. We would give you everything and pay you to come..the Euro is $1.50 .

kevinparis

How about stop pretending everything is made in Germany... they admit the bodies are made in Portugal and are then taken apart to add a US sourced sensor.

Maybe take a leaf from the apple playbook where they proclaim as you open the box "designed in California". Olympus have done this on the e-p1 as i discovered the other night... there is a little plate on the bottom that says "Designed in Tokyo Made in China"

Making stuff is easy... designing is the difficult bit

K

kevinparis

OK guy... sounds like a plan

Do you want this pile of S2 stuff... seems like all the lenses are made.. the cameras all seem to work fine.. apparently the delay in shipping is due to a spelling error in the red dots.. and apparently the only officially sanctioned red dot maker is on holiday

:)

K

jonoslack

First off buy everyone on the forum a X1 to have than do what you will. LOL
Uncharacteristically modest Guy - what's wrong with a complete S2 kit?

I'm sure Kevin would be up for it if he won 77 mil . . . after all, he could buy . .. erm . . is it 5 full kits?:ROTFL:

kevinparis

Vivek

I was planning a special edition M9 for you that comes with a unique soft rubber mount that allows you to attach any lens ever made.. and a special set of marker pens in a variety of black and dark metallic tints to colour coordinate the lenses to the body.

:)

K

Paratom

Tell them to improve their sales and marketing department so that they achieve to make more people understand how good (some= of their products work.
Produce more M9s now before people get tired of waiting and buy something else.
Tell them to bring a digital R10 to the market now. Just stick a good sensor in a R9 and dont put any further R&D cost in it.
Bring the price for the Nocti down to 4000K.
Thats it.

fotografz

As the european lottery jackpot is this week standing at 77 million euro and of course i have bought the winning ticket... I have decided to buy Leica... .not the camera... the whole damn company

any suggestions on what changes i should make.. Apart from dropping the silly S2 project and telling them to make the x-1 with an m-mount?

yours in jest... or maybe not

K
As the new owner of Leica, I ask ... no, implore ... well actually, beg you to reconsider the abandonment of the R10 with select AF lenses, but the ability to use current R optics.

The S2 if a fine tool I'm sure ... but my first priority was the M9 and newer fast M ASPH lenses ... so money IS an object, and the spare $50K I usually have scattered around the studio floor in small denominations is somewhat depleted. :eek:

A multipoint AF R10 with a nice 20 or so meg sensor @ $8 to $9K .. a AF-R 19ASPH, 35/1.4ASPH, 85/1.4APO (the current manual focus 100 macro is fine as is), and a 180/2.8 APO will do fine for a start. :thumbs:

May I place my order with you today? ... (sorry, no deposits until you have the camera in hand. :cool:)

Thank you so much for doing this,

Marc

fotografz

Tell them to improve their sales and marketing department so that they achieve to make more people understand how good (some= of their products work.
Produce more M9s now before people get tired of waiting and buy something else.
Tell them to bring a digital R10 to the market now. Just stick a good sensor in a R9 and dont put any further R&D cost in it.
Bring the price for the Nocti down to 4000K.
Thats it.
Good grief, DON'T reduce the Nocti price ... I sold a Kidney for it and can't get it back. :eek:

V

Vivek

$4,000 for the new Noct is a fair price. :thumbs:

(Marc could be compensated by the new Leica owner. )

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Uncharacteristically modest Guy - what's wrong with a complete S2 kit?

I'm sure Kevin would be up for it if he won 77 mil . . . after all, he could buy . .. erm . . is it 5 full kits?:ROTFL:
Well I forgot to add all admins and mods get S2's also. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
...Come up with a $2500 M mount camera and a line of lenses like the summarits designed for an APS-C sensor and priced like the zeiss zm line but made in Japan or maybe Portugal or heres a wild thought how about the USA...
This is a brilliant suggestion, IMHO. A 12-megapixel APS-C sensor would be unlikely to cannibalize M9 sales but would be a surefire way of introducing a large number of potential M9/M10 users to the Leica gestalt. I would buy an APS-C M-mount Leica and a couple of lenses in an instant.

kevinparis

Jonathon.... you can buy one of these today.... its called a pre owned M8 :)

Now a 1200 dollar Digital CL with electronic rangefinder might be a better idea

K

N

nei1

Making stuff is easy... designing is the difficult bit

K
I think you have this the wrong way round and anyway what difference does it make who makes it,germans are expensive.As to how to improve the M9,...waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,waterproof it,etc,etc,etc,:D.......and then make it out of something happy.