The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

$9.95 Flash for the M8/M9

The local Wolf Camera store was having a clearance several months ago before closing their used and clearance division in Dallas. One of the items I found was a small Leica CF flash unit designed for the Minilux.. the price tag said $9.95 so I bought it just because it had a red dot and only cost $9.95:).

So today, while wasting a bit of company time playing darts, I decided to see if I could use it to catch a dart on its way to the board. It's a terrible shot and my closeness to the wall created a problem with the flash but the unit really worked quite well on the M8.

For $9.95 it's not a bad deal.. runs on two AA batteries. I've really not used the thing for any purpose at all until today and was pleasantly surprised at its performance. I dunno.. $9.95 for this little guy or $300 for the CF 22... not that they are in the same league.. but anyone looking for a cheap flash for their M8 or M9 might consider the CF rather than the CF 22.

:eek:
I know, I'm insane for suggesting such a thing.. but when you are on a budget you do what you can to save a few bucks.

I would gladly buy one for $9.95. It looks to have enough power to use a daylight fill which is what I want. Finding one is the problem I suspect, but I will start looking.

Mark

I would gladly buy one for $9.95. It looks to have enough power to use a daylight fill which is what I want. Finding one is the problem I suspect, but I will start looking.

Mark
Well that is great..I wasn't sure anyone would find this post of any value but glad you did. I rarely use flash but this little flash tucks away in a pocket of my bag in case I ever need one.

Try eBay or Craig's List... both should have them.. eBay will be easier to search.

You got a good deal Jim. The best I can find online after a quick search is $64 for a used one. I will keep an eye out for one in my travels. Maybe I will get lucky and find one in a camera shop tucked away in their junk bin.

Mark

cam

Mark -- if you find one for $9.95, pick one up for me too -- i'll pay you double :p

Jim -- thanks for sharing. i am sooooo against using flash but, well, sometimes... a lighter is not enough!