The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I love the 28mm Elmarit

The first lens I bought for my M8 was the 28mm Elmarit.. in truth, it was the only NEW lens I could afford. I really wanted something a bit more exotic and faster than an f/2.8 lens but I have really grown to love the 28mm Elmarit because of the way it renders.

This is a shot I took in San Francisco's Chinatown not too long ago. The edge to edge sharpness of this lens is very good. The darkened edges are part of my post-processing (I like it like that).

Next trip out to SF I am planning on just staying in the city rather than wandering up and down the coast as I usually do. I want to try a bit more street than I have in the past.

Question for those who might be using the CV 15mm? Can you share some photos from that lens? I like to shoot wide and have not seen many shots from the CV 15. If you have wide shots with other lenses, please post and comment on them.. include any lens characteristics that are pro or con. I want to buy a wider lens before my next trip to the coast so your input will be appreciated.

Terry

Hi Jim,
Hmmm. I sold my 15 for the 12mm lens but I used the 12 for dramatic landscapes and not street. Here are two 12mm shots from Moab...the new 15 in M mount is interesting. If you want to be able to frame reasonably well you will need to buy a 21mm finder. With the 12mm I didn't bother with a finder...it includes everything and then I would review on the LCD.

Hi Jim,
Hmmm. I sold my 15 for the 12mm lens but I used the 12 for dramatic landscapes and not street. Here are two 12mm shots from Moab...the new 15 in M mount is interesting. If you want to be able to frame reasonably well you will need to buy a 21mm finder. With the 12mm I didn't bother with a finder...it includes everything and then I would review on the LCD.
QUOTE]

Terry... why do you sell all the stuff I want? Do you have any regrets on divesting yourself of the Leica gear? By the way, that first shot is stunning.. I do believe you gave me a link to that in the past but I could not remember where to find it.

Bo also has the 15 but I've not seen a lot of his photos from it.. just a few.

Living in SF you might know the answer to this.. I was wondering about the festivities in Chinatown for the Chinese New Year... have you been there for that and if so.. what's the best time to visit.. the city has some info posted but it appears the entire month is involved... any particular weekend good?

By the way, Steve Huff and his wife might make the New Orleans Mardi Gras shoot... he's going to let me know. He also seems to be having fun with his GF1. I'm finally beginning to see some good work with that camera and the 20mm pancake. I dunno.. $900 for the GF1 or $2K for the X1?

Terry

Terry... why do you sell all the stuff I want? Do you have any regrets on divesting yourself of the Leica gear? By the way, that first shot is stunning.. I do believe you gave me a link to that in the past but I could not remember where to find it.

Bo also has the 15 but I've not seen a lot of his photos from it.. just a few.

Living in SF you might know the answer to this.. I was wondering about the festivities in Chinatown for the Chinese New Year... have you been there for that and if so.. what's the best time to visit.. the city has some info posted but it appears the entire month is involved... any particular weekend good?

By the way, Steve Huff and his wife might make the New Orleans Mardi Gras shoot... he's going to let me know. He also seems to be having fun with his GF1. I'm finally beginning to see some good work with that camera and the 20mm pancake. I dunno.. $900 for the GF1 or $2K for the X1?
I'm not really regretting selling my Leica gear... sort of :rolleyes:. In Oregon and in Iceland I was really happy with my Sony A900 and my micro 4/3 gear. I still have my 21 elmarit, 50 lux and 75 cron....so I guess I could get another M8 body. Not going to spring for an M9 until there are plenty of used ones popping up. Fast focus wide open was not my forte.

There is a parade for the Chinese New Year that goes along Market Street. I would assume if you time your trip for the parade you would be in good shape. I haven't been to the parade, I had planned to go earlier this year and I forget why I didn't make it (rain?).

The X1 haunts me. The layout and M like user interface are exactly what I want in a camera. However I don't really think I'm thrilled about 35mm focal length. I pray that the x2 is either a fast little zoom or interchangeable. No X1 for me unless my apartment in NY sells or the lottery knocks on my door or unless I find resistance is totally futile. The GF1 is a really good camera (IMHO).

New Orleans will probably have to be a last minute (or a month before) decision for me. I can't plan that far out yet.

R

Rogwp

Here is a recent street scene from Mazatlan, Mexico, taken with the cv12. I also do not use a finder (except for the first shot of a series and after changing lens, for example - and that is just to remind me how wide this lens is).

My first lens was the 28/2.8 as well Jim, and I went from that to this 12mm. I have since added the 18/3.8 to round out my street-shooting set. Roger

Attachments

francishmt

I love my CV15-M on the M8. I have quite a few shots with it, but unfortunately, I don't know how to post on this board. Does it work if I try to link from flickr?

Terry

I love my CV15-M on the M8. I have quite a few shots with it, but unfortunately, I don't know how to post on this board. Does it work if I try to link from flickr?
Yes, there is an icon that shows a little mountain (light yellow in color). Click that and paste the flickr url into the dialog box.

jonoslack

HI Jim . . . and Terry . . . and francishmt
Wonderful pictures - I especially like the venice shot.

Jim - I'm with you on the elmarit - I sold mine to buy a 28 'cron, and although it has it's advantages I'm not sure it was worth the expense of changing.

The CV15 on the other hand is a no-brainer. I found it worked better coded as a WATE, but with a B+W 39mm IR filter rather than the Leica (it's a little stronger, which is what's needed). Is stuck the filter into the lens hood with a little Pritt - it stayed there for two years and then came out easily when I got the M9. It's tiny, very good right to the edges and cheap . . . what else could you want!

Terry - I'm with you on the X1 . . . won't get one unless . . . erm I can't resist :ROTFL:

The CV15 on the other hand is a no-brainer. I found it worked better coded as a WATE, but with a B+W 39mm IR filter rather than the Leica (it's a little stronger, which is what's needed). Is stuck the filter into the lens hood with a little Pritt - it stayed there for two years and then came out easily when I got the M9. It's tiny, very good right to the edges and cheap . . . what else could you want!

QUOTE]

Jono, thanks for the tip on the filter... right now I am contemplating moving to the new 27 inch iMac and getting rid of my Windows system. I'm just so tired of Microsoft's constant patches and updates and all the other garbage you get with a PC. :mad: I may have to spring for the iMac before I buy another lens.. even though the CV 15 is quite cheap.

jonoslack

Jono, thanks for the tip on the filter... right now I am contemplating moving to the new 27 inch iMac and getting rid of my Windows system. I'm just so tired of Microsoft's constant patches and updates and all the other garbage you get with a PC. :mad: I may have to spring for the iMac before I buy another lens.. even though the CV 15 is quite cheap.
Oh! I'd like one of those as well, but I think we'll be skiing with Emma and the boys for Christmas instead . .. a good compromise :)

I have a friend who says that the definition of good technology is that it's

Not Irritating

I'm not sure that Apple have quite reached those dizzy heights, and certainly Leopard can crash like the best of them . . . . . but the concept of going back to PCs is pretty unattractive all the same! Good luck with the decision!

oris98

I am on the same boat of thinking of moving to Imac from Windows.. One of the main reason is the Iphoto on the 27" LED screen looks awesome ! The glossy screen spring the picture qty to an couple level higher with outstanding color impact and 3d experience. Price wise, Imac is no longer as expensive as before. The same single unit PC from HP or Gateway with same configuration cause more than the Imac.