The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Petition for an R10

I have a heavy investment in R glass, including for instance the 35-70/2.8 Vario Elmarit. For the time being, and before resolving to go the Leotax path, I use the R lenses on the G1.

It would not look too difficult nor extremely expensive to build (perhaps by Panasonic) a full-format G1 with the M9 sensor. No need of AF nor IS for the base model, just be able to use existing lenses manually. If it does well, later add AF and IS and compatible lenses that would open a new lens market for Leica.

Sign this petition. If it will not achieve anything, at least we tried our best

Cheers
Peter

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
It would be interesting to know the facts regarding the break even on a R10. I suspect that most R users both current and previous would be interested in an R10 even if it was only a manual mount .

Based on the response to the M9 ..where many long time Leica M users are saying....OK this is a digital M I can get behind . The orders for the M9 todate indicate it will far exceed the demand for the M8.

Using my R glass on either Nikon or Canon bodies shows that its not an major engineering feat to produce an R body for manual focus lenses. They could focus on all the stuff Leica owners miss like Higher ISO ,weather sealing,stupid pop up flash or they could stick will CCD and go for better color etc.

Maybe someday ?

Paratom

I agree,
putting a ff sensor in a R9 is all which would be needed to satisfy people with existing R-glass. Its shouldnt be difficult/expensive to do so and I am sure it would generate cash quickly for Leica. Forget IS and AF.

gogopix

Subscriber
Well, I would certain sign such a petition; it won't get an R10, but it will let Laica know there is a ready market for an "R" compatible camera.

I have a Sigma 14 with R mount, a Kodak SLR/c and an R9/DMR. Except for the last they are ok, but unsatisfying (waiting for the call from the Smithsonian to send the first two, maybe all three :D

Then again there is always the Canon adapter method.

What I think is more likely is a 4/3 camera with 18MP and I hope body stabilized, that would take R lenses (well, R to 4/3 already exists)

So I think we just need to make sure a good LEICA influenced system emerges.

There have been hints that Leica will 'do something' for the R people, and I think that it will happen.

You heard it here.

If not, a 30MP FF 3200 ISO Canon 1DsIV would work too.

Needless to say, I still have my 20+ R lenses.

Regards
Victor

PS I recently got a "True Wide" with R mount. I used both P45+ and P65+ The latter vignettes, but with that setup I have a 40MP system with 16 bit depth and lenses from 15/2.8 to 2000mm, all Leica.

cookedart

It would not look too difficult nor extremely expensive to build (perhaps by Panasonic) a full-format G1 with the M9 sensor.
You would actually not want the m9 sensor on an SLR.. you would do better to have a sensor akin to the other manufacturer's Full Frame SLR sensors (5D Mark II, Nikon D700, Sony A900, etc). The m9 sensor is designed to be combined with rangefinder glass with offset microlenses that have a short backfocus because of the lack of a mirror.

This is a pretty crowded space though.. Leica would definitely have to bring something interesting to the table if they got back into SLRs.

bensonga

Just added my name to the petition. I really hope Leica is listening.

Gary
R8 with motordrive, 28mm Elmarit, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Elmarit, 80-200mm f4 Vario-Elmar

Seascape

My superb R lenses looks pretty ordinary on a Canon DSLR (most recent attempt on a 1D MK II), they are no where close to the results I get from my M8 even with non ASPH lenses.

I need something better than these work arounds, it is truly frustrating having fabulous R glass and no way other than the huge R8/DMR kit, to use it.

The M9 came out of left field.........surprise me please !!!

John Black

Having used R lenses across a wide range of Canon dSLRs, the 1D2 doesn't have much drama when it comes to image quality. By drama I mean color depth, richness, saturation, etc. Recently I've been re-editing some 1Ds and 1Ds2 raws, and after using the 1Ds3 for about 2 years, the old 1Ds files simply can't match the 1Ds3's color depth / richness. If you could rent a 1Ds3 for a weekend from a local shop, it might be worth your time to try again. I realize this isn't the ideal solution - certainly not in this thread. However, I would not use the 1D2 as a benchmark when it comes file / image quality. And since not everyone is fond of Canon, via Leitex some R lenses can also be used on Nikon & Sony dSLRs.

Paratom

OK, I know that I argument for the R10 all the time - personally I would not buy one anyways and have sold all my R-gear.
There have been a couple of experiences which make me believe that the difference in glass between Leica and other brands has shrinked quite a bit.
Why do I think so?

Once I compared a Leica 80-200/4.0 vs a Canon 80-200/4.0L on a Canon 5D - Frankly I could not detect much difference if any besides the fact that I would get more slightly out of focus images when using MF.

The other time I put a Leica M lens on a g1 and compared it to the kit lens. Again - I was not blown away buy a big difference (as Iwould have expected in the first step).

Third I changed a Leica 100 Macro into Nikon mount. Again I was not blown aways-even though this is a very very good lens.

In all three cases I did not feel it is worth to give up AF, to have to use step down metering, and to give up exact exposure metering (the Leica on the Nikon doesn not meter as precise as Nikon lenses do).

Just yesterday I brought my M9 +50asph and D3x+Sigma 50/1.4
No, not scientific but real life. Shot about 5 different scenes including landscape and portrait with both cameras and I admit I was surprized how good the Nikon with the Sigma lens holds up to the M9 with the 50asph.

My conclusion from this was that for my personal use it seems both the M9 with Leica glass and the d3x with very good glass is so close in IQ that it doesnt make any difference for me personally. (Which is great since I can just use the camera which fits the needs regarding handling)

So I change my mind and say- a R10 would be great for those who own R-glass or like just manual focus. But IMO it doesnt make much sense to use Leica lenses on a Canon AF camera.
Just my opinion.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) It would not look too difficult nor extremely expensive to build (perhaps by Panasonic) a full-format G1 with the M9 sensor. (...)
But in that case it should be priced like a G1 with a full frame sensor.
I cannot sign a petition saying: "I am interested by a solution of this type, whose price will not have to be significantly higher than that of M9."
If you had said "whose price will not have to be higher than that of an A850" I would have signed the petition.
I still do have four R lenses, but in my opinion a non-competitive solution is irrelevant. Just my 2 cents of course.

Seascape

John B. the reason I tried the 1D II, was because of the 1.3 crop that should have provided sufficient clearance for lenses such as my 35 Lux, that seem to have mirror clearance problems with the 5D for example.

However, the IQ was somewhat disappointing, I assume it is the CMOS sensor vs the CCD look, but not sure......bottom line I need something better to make the R lenses sing.

gogopix

Subscriber
actually thought of another approach. If the M9 (maybe in M10?) had LIVE PREVIEW, you could easily focus the R lenses, and there currently adapters.

also, Leica could design a 'fractional magnification' lens for the S2 that would extend the registry distance (the 1.4x extenders do that already; optically not a challenging design. Then focus confirm would work and the image circle of the R I know fills a P45+ ALREADY ABOUT THE s2 SIZE.

Leica has many choices for R lenses but all would reduce sales of the current and emerging lines

Business is business

Victor

V

Vivek

actually thought of another approach. If the M9 (maybe in M10?) had LIVE PREVIEW, you could easily focus the R lenses, and there currently adapters.
:thumbs::clap:

Well said!

If the X1 can have liveview....

doug

also, Leica could design a 'fractional magnification' lens for the S2 that would extend the registry distance (the 1.4x extenders do that already; optically not a challenging design.
If this hypothetical extender were something like a 1.25x magnifier the angle of view would be the same as on a 24mm x 36mm camera. Possible loss of some lens sales, but it would give the S2 an installed base of lenses... and I don't see plans yet for any S lenses longer than the 350mm APO-Elmar. Imagine a modular APO-Telyt on the S2 :bugeyes:

V

Vivek

Peter, Even the APS-C D300 beats the G1 hands down in terms of image quality (DR and S/R).

I am sure the current Pentax Kx and Sony A500 also would be many times better than the G1.

gogopix

Subscriber
Acually considering the Sony A900 with Leitax adapter for the R Modulars. With stabilization would be a great wildlife setup IF the IQ from the A900 is reasonable (let's face it, captures, Execpt for Doug's :clap: , are usually dictated by other factors like light and shake and aperture)

Victor