The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 samples

Brian Mosley

Thank you Shooter, for riding the bleeding edge for us :ROTFL:

I will definitely look out for your experience! :thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Brian,
Your welcome.....Someone's gotta do it....

Now if Leica will send me one......
All my M's & R's lay sleeping gently in the cabinet....
Time to let them see the new kid on the block.....

It should prove to be a great street camera. I don't think it will get anyone away from the
m4/3 crowd. With a single focal length it will end up being used as a second camera unless likee, your a streetshooter.
Maybe in the future, X2 will have a lens mount....
Shooter

Rick Waldroup

I thought the images were fine.

But then again, for what I would use the camera for, the shots are impressive, as far as test shots go.

Christopher

What ugly images, my G10 does better. Well not really, but it also is a lot cheaper ^^

On the other hand we have to wait, dpreview has most of the times HORRIBLE samples, I can name just a few, many blured a900 images, misfocused 1DsMk3 images, horrible M9 images. After I saw the M9 images I nearly did not buy it. However I reminded me that dpreview can't be taken as any sort of real image quality info.

Brian Mosley

To be fair though Christopher, dpreview do great resolution targets :cool:

I'll be watching out for talented photographers who can make this thing sing in due course. :salute:

Cheers

Brian

N

nei1

The bokeh on that shot is bad,that terrible distracting sort that seems to vibrate,the flower is also soft.......but then what can you expect for just 1500 quid,what a bunch of moaners...:D

jonoslack

The bokeh on that shot is bad,that terrible distracting sort that seems to vibrate,the flower is also soft.......but then what can you expect for just 1500 quid,what a bunch of moaners...:D
:ROTFL::deadhorse::salute::angel::toocool:

I have to join those who are dissappointed by these X1 sample images on DPReview. While they are not terrible images and some of them were quite good, not a one of them had a Wow Factor for me. You could have told me they were taken by just about any camera and I would have believed it.

I was really expecting something exceptional from the X1 and in a way, it is a relief that they were not. $2K (even if they were great photos) is still too much for the X1 with a fixed lens and an f/2.8 lens at that.

I realize that a talented photographer will be able to produce better (more appealling) images but the biggest dissapointment is that these sample photos do not have the sharpness and micro-contrast I was hoping for.. nor is the bokeh that great.

It does appear to do fairly well at high ISO settings but not quite what I was hoping for.

I'm sure many will find the X1 to be a great little camera but for me, it had to have exceptional image output, low noise and great DR to make me part with $2K for a fixed lens point and shoot. I'm not going to totally give up on it just yet but my hopes have been diminished by these early samples.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
FYI Jack and I are getting a X1 along with the S2 Dec. 9th to play with along with a full test of the S2. Not sure how much we will get into the X1 but enough to give some impressions for sure.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I think there's still some potential there and I'll withhold final judgement until the camera is more widely used and there are more images to see.

However, I think this level of criticism is exactly what the camera deserves. If you're going to introduce a fixed-lens pocket camera and price it twice or three times more than the competition, there has to be a reason for people to buy it (beyond the name). For $2k it can't just be good enough, it has to be excellent.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
This is the oldest sales trick in the book.
Make a cera and display bad to mediocre images.
Then all the potential buyers say....
Those images are crap... Just imagine what I can do with that camera.....

I've never seen sample images that I felt I couldn't do better....
Hmmm...no wonder I have so many cameras....

If they put amazing images out there,
they would alienate their customers.

But look close at the crap that's there and you see the camera has great potential....
Noise is good, lens is ok... It's all there...

Am I dreaming or what?

Brian Mosley

I don't think you're dreaming streetshooter, but the bad bokeh shot is a bit discouraging... you can't improve that with skill can you?

Cheers

Brian

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Unsubstantiated rumor. BTW, the new D300s is even better!

(There are also Sony A500 and Pentax Kx boasting good high ISO performances for half the price of an X1)
Vivek

Consider it substantiated...I asked someone that knows and was told its the same sensor as the D300/D90 uses. That doesn t mean that the in camera processing is exactly the same (consider D3x and A900 that share a sensor).

If they put amazing images out there,
they would alienate their customers.

Am I dreaming or what?
I have to disagree with you.. with Leica's target market they need to put good images out there.. hell, they need to be excellent images! If those images had been amazing I would have pre-ordered today.. but they weren't and there is no pre-order coming.

Speaking of images.... if they allow DPReview to post images why have they not put up a really amazing sample gallery on the Leica site itself? That's where they're missing the marketing boat. Why rely on some guys at DPReview to be the first to post sample images from a production model? That makes no sense at all.

V

Vivek

Vivek

Consider it substantiated...I asked someone that knows and was told its the same sensor as the D300/D90 uses. That doesn t mean that the in camera processing is exactly the same (consider D3x and A900 that share a sensor).

Roger, Still no substantiation.

As you say, even if it is the same Sony sensor, it does not mean the image quality/out put would have any resemblance to Nikon D300.

The Sony sensor is dated and is relatively cheap now. So, it is likely that it is the old Sony sensor.

V

Vivek

This is the oldest sales trick in the book.
Make a cera and display bad to mediocre images.
Then all the potential buyers say....
Those images are crap... Just imagine what I can do with that camera.....
Give that guy an M9 and what he will churn out. :ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger, Still no substantiation.

As you say, even if it is the same Sony sensor, it does not mean the image quality/out put would have any resemblance to Nikon D300.

The Sony sensor is dated and is relatively cheap now. So, it is likely that it is the old Sony sensor.
Vivek

What do you mean even if its the same sensor. I asked a person that would know for sure and got confirmation. Believe what you want. :wtf:

Your post is insulting.