The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 Price Increase?

• Thread starter ameliephotographie
  • Start date
A

ameliephotographie

I recently decided to become a Leica user and buy the M9. I was planning on waiting until the first of next year, but I saw this on a previous thread:

"...(what sounds like inevitable) price increase that is going to come at the end of the year."

I have not been able to find anything related to this on other threads (my apologies if I have overlooked the thread), but my questions are this:

Can someone with a reliable source confirm this price increase?
If this price increase does occur at the end of the year, what is the anticipated increase (1k, 2k, etc.)?

I had thought about pre-ordering with B&H, but you have to pay immediately with no guarantee to when the camera will be delivered. I can lock in the price by pre-ordering, but if it does not increase, I would rather have my money earning interest until when I had originally planned to purchase it, which is another 2-3 months.

Sorry if these are inane questions, but this is my first time buying a Leica. :)

Christopher

There is only one price increase and that is in the UK. (VAT raise and Leica will not give it away any cheaper than before, so the raise)

A

ameliephotographie

Thank you both for your replies. Since I've not owned a Leica before, I have not followed their new product releases. Therefore, I was unsure if a price increase within a few months of release was likely or not. Does not seem likely with these responses. Thanks again!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
There is a Leica price increase as of January 1st, 2010, but the M9 price will remain the same at $6995. S2, S lenses, and X1 are all unchanged as well.

Most of the increases will be on M lenses and accessories. Also, the price of the D-Lux 4 will be going up $100 to $799.

Sorry for the bad news, but with the dollar down relative to the Euro, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

David

wolverine

And when the dollar strengthens towards then end of next year, which will be inevitable as the Fed raises interset rates, there will be a lot buying across the pond again. Frank