The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Overgaard Leica M9 page updated

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thorsten,

The real-life site, the journey, the choices, the thinking, the decisions and the results are interesting, well-documented and insightful. Thanks for taking the time to put the pages together. Your 'mini-documentary' is something I find more useful than a hundred pay reviews.

Kurt

overgaarcom

@ Kurt: Thanks.

@ cam: 7+ pairs per the advice of Leica Camera AG. I have no technical explanation but I was told, "remember underwear." (That's actually what they wrote back when I asked Stefan Daniel about the odd highlight with the 24mm Summilux ;-).

cam

you are lovely! cheers!

and whilst the man on the park bench caused my jaw to drop, i was especially smitten with the v.1 35 -- one of my treasured lenses that has gotten short shrift. the M9 does seem to handle the older lenses better than the M8... sigh.

kevinparis

ah the old technical support 3 step guide to problem solving

1) Update the hardware
2) Update the software
3) Update the underwear

stunning photos... a pleasure to find someone who can walk the walk as well as talk the talk

almost made me consider buying a M9 :)

K

W

wbrandsma

Of your list, Kevin, the underwear is within my financial reach.

Otherwise Thorsten, thank you for sharing. I checked it earlier today and I loved the first photograph on page 4 with your older 35mm Summicron. Wonderful glow.

John Black

...when I asked Stefan Daniel about the odd highlight with the 24mm Summilux.
I had the same "highlight" issue on a Phase One P25 when shooting sunsets at wide apertures. Too much incoming sunlight simply overwhelmed the sensor and a large rectangular area about 3 to 4 times wider than the sun would completely blow out to white. Some of the rows (or columns if held in portrait orientation) would completely fry. These were properly exposed images, not blown over-exposures. I've taken the same pictures with the ZD (Dalsa sensor) and the results were fine. So, I suspect it's something to do with Kodak's sensor design.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thorsten,
This was a very worthwhile read. Thank you for presenting it to us. I look forward to reading more from you.
Several of your photos made my jaw drop, especially those with the Noctilux.
I'd also love to know your impression of the M9/21SA f/3.4 combination.

jonoslack

Excellent Thorsten
Lots of excellent thoughts and pictures, and such a pleasure to read.

All the best

Like Jono said, Excellent Thorsten.

I really enjoyed both the text and photos. I look forward to your next installment.

Mark

I meant to add - I really appreciate the point you made about photos don't always have to be in focus to have impact (not exactly a quote, but thats the jist of your point which i completely agree).

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Wonderful pictures and insightful observations -- not just about the M9 and its lenses but about your own photographic philosophy and practice. Many thanks!

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Nice article Thorsten. I particlurly like this sentance:

"In the review by Steve Huff the 24mm seem better in captureing micro-details than the 21mm but I haven't been able to determine if that is the case ... and perhaps it's not important".

and also;

"In essence, it doesn't matter how it looks in 100% on a screen. What matters is how it looks in an A4 print (8x12") or equivalent magazine print.

perhaps its not important :thumbup:

I like your images!

Last edited:

lmr

Thorsten:

As usual... your work is way cool :)

One lens & One Camera... that is that way to go out the door and shoot. Less thinking of which lens and more thinking of shooting. Of course, like a lot of us... deciding on which lens to go out the door with is the hardest part :(

I always enjoy visiting your site...

Robert.

overgaarcom

Thorsten:

As usual... your work is way cool :)

One lens & One Camera... that is that way to go out the door and shoot. Less thinking of which lens and more thinking of shooting. Of course, like a lot of us... deciding on which lens to go out the door with is the hardest part :(

I always enjoy visiting your site...

Robert.
Thanks. Yes, the one lens to walk out with is the hard part. Sometimes you have to hide one in pocket to extend the answer till later in the day ;-)