The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Child's Grave, Cemetery Outside Sprague NE, March, 2008

helenhill

Viewed the slideshow. Great series
Seems like you're back on a CREATIVE roll
How will the photos look if you did a second series,,,,, B&W moody/Noir
The color set capturing the beauty of their life and the B&W afterlife
or am I getting too whacked
All the Best....Helen

Terry

Maggie,
I keep coming back to the one where the ground is all cracking...it is creepy but in a way that also keeps you looking.

Maggie O

Thanks, guys!

As for doing some in B&W, I saw waaaay too many B&W cemetery shots when I was hanging out with Goths. I'm just not going to go there. Time to plough different ground, so to speak. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the right direction for me at this time.

helenhill

Thanks, guys!

As for doing some in B&W, I saw waaaay too many B&W cemetery shots when I was hanging out with Goths. I'm just not going to go there. Time to plough different ground, so to speak. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the right direction for me at this time.
Hi Maggie
Not trying to push the blk & white concept but I think you misunderstood what I had in mind.
I TOTALLY AGREE RE; GOTH
Its soooo TIRED & OLD HAT

What I meant was a Blk & white series to complement your Beautiful color shots
BUT more Elegant, Stylised, & Executed as in CINEMETOGRAPHY
Two Films come to mind / Both CLASSICS and are in blk & white

THE INNOCENTS / 1961 with acclaimed cinematographer & BAFTA winner Freddie Francis starring Deborah Kerr

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER / 1955 Fritz Lang director starring Robert Mitchem & Shelley Winters

Both Films deal w/ Childern and a Sustained Tone of DREAD & ATMOSPHERE
which I think you brilliantly captured in your 'Child's Grave Cemetary Series'
but could possibly be heightened another step in blk & white

Cheers! :) Helen

Maggie O

Excellent food for thought, Helen! Though I'm still not quite sure where I'd be going with it- could you elaborate or show me some photos along the lines you're thinking?

ecliffordsmith

Hi Maggie,

I find the image you have posted in this thread the most powerful of the series.

The composition has been thoughfully made and I get a sad, respectful feeling from viewing the image.

Moving stuff, well done.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
In the same theme.
For Somebody's Grandpa.
Chinese Camp, California
-bob

helenhill

Bob,
Quite lovely the sienna & sand tones
and the combination offsets Maggie's blues so beautifully