The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 firmware wishlist

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I came up with this list while reading a thread at LUF. Let's start a wish list here...

Overall I love my M9, but there are some items that need to be addressed in the next firmware update:

SD card compatibility and speed
There are still too many issues with cards not being compatible, and not taking advantage of faster cards on the market.

Speed of rendering image on LCD during playback
There's too long of a delay to see the image on the LCD. The first image that shows up is too pixelated, and the delay while waiting for the refined version is too long.

6-bit coding should over-ride manual lens setting
When the camera is set to manual lens selection (for a lens that is not 6-bit coding), and then you changes lenses and put a 6-bit coded lens back on the camera (without setting the camera back to "Automatic lens detection"), the camera should recognize that the lens is 6-bit coded, and use that information to over-ride the current manual setting. It is far too easy to forget to set back to Automatic, and have incorrect lens corrections applied to the image. I had my camera set to manual - 90 Elmarit, and then shot a few dozen images with the WATE - the camera stayed on manual setting for 90 Elmarit, which produced images with bad corners.

ISO display in info screen
When you push the info button to see battery / SD card status on the LCD, it should also show the current ISO setting. This saves time from having to also press the ISO button to see your current setting.

Ability to disable Auto-ISO when using manual shutter speed settings
There should be an option that would disable Auto-ISO if you switch to manual shutter speed setting. Currently, if you are set to Auto ISO, take a shot, and realize that you need to adjust exposure, so you dial in a different shutter speed on the top dial (keeping aperture constant), the auto ISO will kick in and essentially undo your manual exposure compensation. This makes sense in some cases, but is frustrating when you are trying to manually control exposure using the shutter speed dial and forget to turn off auto-ISO. I would like a custom setting that allows me to disable auto-ISO when a manual shutter speed is selected.

Add more user configured presets
I really like the four user-defined camera settings that can be memorized and stored (and even named). I wish that I could store more than 4. I'd like to be able to create, name, and store up to 10 presets for the various combinations of settings that I often use.

Last edited:

jonoslack

HI Mike
Well - that's NOTHING like the LUF stuff! How disappointing, you've named a number of things which are both possible and desirable, and you haven't been grumpy at all :ROTFL::ROTFL:

I agree with all of them - and I would like to add just one thing:

B&W Preview with RAW
The ability to shoot RAW only and have a B&W preview (it did this in the very earliest firmware)

rondeb

SD card formatting speed. I'm sure this is on the todo list.
I'd also like to see the shutter lag improved to at least what it was with the m8.2.
I think we'll also see some high iso improvement.
Best,
Ron

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Mike, I don't have my M9 yet, told next Friday, but each of those things you listed I agree with :thumbs:

Steve Fines

Love the camera, but need to be honest that it needs some tuning.

+whatever it takes for these.

Long exposures - an extra + for this one.

One cannot keep the shutter open on the M9 longer than 250 sec. I want it to stay open for 3 hours, or six hours, or however long I choose. If for tech reasons the shutter has to close after 250 seconds, then let me turn off the dark frame subtraction so I can take another shot right away. Leica should take the "B" off of the shutter speed dial as it doesn't truthfully belong there, or fix the firmware so that it does.

LCD speed, including speed to zoom in and check focus. M9 feels like a Model T with engine problems compared with my Nikon/Canon gear in this respect.

SD card issues. Formatting time, compatibility, etc. See Model T comment above.

B&W preview with DNG

Last edited:
I do not agree that the 6 bit code should override manual lens setting. I prefer to mantain the freedom to choose.
Cheers,
Ario

woodyspedden

I also want the flexibility to use settings other than the "standard" based on the six bit code. A quick look at the M9 review at Sean Reid's site shows that those corrections are not always correct or should I say optimized.

I think it is funny because we all reacted negatively when Leica refused to put in a manual lens option because they said that people will make mistakes (like forgetting to set it back to auto when appropriate) and they (Leica) would get negative press as a result. Now we have what we asked for and are complaining that we are negatively affected because it doesn't revert automatically. Funny LOL

Woody

carstenw

Mike, that just added two more choices to the system... I think that Leica got it right this time. The balance between simplicity and function is delicate, and catering to preference can explode the number of choices very quickly. I would code all your lenses and leave it on automatic. Problem (and wallet) solved.

jonoslack

Mike, that just added two more choices to the system... I think that Leica got it right this time. The balance between simplicity and function is delicate, and catering to preference can explode the number of choices very quickly. I would code all your lenses and leave it on automatic. Problem (and wallet) solved.
HI Carsten
Well - I think that this is quite important, but a better way to do it would be simply to add one line to the lens selection menu option:

Lens Selection:
Off
Auto
Manual
Manual with over-ride for coded lenses

That way there are no confusing extra menu options with toggles, it's pretty self explanatory, and it allows you to code lenses differently if you choose to.

There are certainly examples of lenses which are better coded 'wrongly'

Better than that, it will allow you to have 1 'special' uncoded lens:
if, for instance you have an old 35 'cron type IV, then you can set it up in Manual with over-ride, then, when you use a coded lens it'll get it right, when you use the 35, it'll revert to that.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Carsten - some lenses, such as the 135 APO Telyt - do not have a 6-bit code. In order to capture the focal length in EXIF, I have to manually set the lens each time I mount it. Then I have to worry about remembering to set back to Auto when I unmount that lens.

beamon

Well thought out, Mike. WRT the coding issue, Jonos has covered it like a blanket. Most of these wishes seem doable in firmware, so c'mon Leica, get crackin'!

I would also damn the expense and wish for a sapphire LCD cover. I could get along w/o it, but as a bit of a WIS (that's 'Watch Idiot Savant' to the uninitiated), I treasure sapphire crystals for their hardiness.

Gimme all this in an M9.2, Leica, and you have my order. (I'm sure that'll get 'em busy.) :ROTFL:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Carsten - some lenses, such as the 135 APO Telyt - do not have a 6-bit code. In order to capture the focal length in EXIF, I have to manually set the lens each time I mount it. Then I have to worry about remembering to set back to Auto when I unmount that lens.
Can you assign a user preset with lens detection settings so you can have a 135apo setting with a click to preset? Its still something you'll have to remember to switch back so maybe no difference.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree with all of the points on the list, with a particular :thumbup: for the coded lens override mode. The default behavior seems a little strange and would certainly make sense to have some options as described Jono.

The auto-ISO & manual mode is certainly one that I'd like to have an option to set how it behaves. I've personally been burned by this one with the M8 when manually bracketing and only noticed in post that all the images we normalized by ISO. I think that it would need to be a configurable option though because there's definitely an advantage with ISO normalizing exposure if desired too.

Finally, a full chrome finish version of the M9. Ooops, sorry not that's a firmware fix :deadhorse: ;)

jonoslack

HI Graham
The auto-ISO & manual mode is certainly one that I'd like to have an option to set how it behaves. I've personally been burned by this one with the M8 when manually bracketing and only noticed in post that all the images we normalized by ISO. I think that it would need to be a configurable option though because there's definitely an advantage with ISO normalizing exposure if desired too.
HI Graham

Although I can see the argument for this . . I can also see the argument that you have to remember to change things anyway, and getting into the habit of turning off (or on) auto ISO when you set a specific shutter speed is just as simple as getting in to the habit of changing the setting in the menu. After all, using auto ISO in manual mode can actually be VERY useful (it gives you a kind of shutter priority) - this means that if you ARE given the option, you can just as easily get yourself burned in the other direction.

I don't think it would save any button presses (rather the opposite).

Finally, a full chrome finish version of the M9. Ooops, sorry not that's a firmware fix :deadhorse: ;)
9.2? with a sapphire screen? for another $1000? would you?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jono, yes I agree there's definitely value with the ISO shifting automatically in manual mode and it's super useful if you want a particular exposure time & aperture combination for a particular image characteristic. I do this relatively often with my DSLR although I tend also to use the bracketing function of the camera in manual mode too which does lock the ISO once it has picked it for the initial base exposure. Hmm, maybe time to try out the new Leica auto-bracket now instead.

I can't deny that leaving auto-ISO on and manually changing the shutter was 'user error' but having an override mode just for manual would be helpful if you wanted it as your personal preference (which I actually would).

Chrome & sapphire for $1000 extra? ... nope I don't think so. :shocked: