The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Summarit M Lenses so good it's scary.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nice Pictures Simon, what version is your 35mm Summarit ? or what year was it made in ? Thanks.
oris,
sclamb is correct that these are four all new Summarits ( from 2007). To clarify further, these are all f/2.5 apertures. There was a Leitz Summarit 50 f/1.5 (1949-1960) from earlier times that you may have seen. That one is a completely different design.

Scargos2

I have the 75mm Summarits, which I purchased from SteveM8. Which is sharp and has great color. I love it.

fotografz

A couple of 35 Summarit pics :D

and a 75 Summarit pic

These Summarit lenses are the bargains of the Leica world and are very, very good lenses.

Simon
Well, I'm sold. Absolutely beautiful images and superb use of light Simon. Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

I have all the fast stuff, and love them for my wedding photography ... but for travel and more normal everyday shooting these Summarits seem a match made in heaven. A 35 added to my WATE and 90/2.8 would make for a diverse and easy to carry/use kit.

Here goes another smashing of the Piggy Bank" in the name of Leica. Now where is my hammer? ;)

Marc

Paratom

Well, I'm sold. Absolutely beautiful images and superb use of light Simon. Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

I have all the fast stuff, and love them for my wedding photography ... but for travel and more normal everyday shooting these Summarits seem a match made in heaven. A 35 added to my WATE and 90/2.8 would make for a diverse and easy to carry/use kit.

Here goes another smashing of the Piggy Bank" in the name of Leica. Now where is my hammer? ;)

Marc
Marc,
I think the combination of some faster glass and some Summarits works very well.
I now often carry the 24/1.4, 35/2.5, 50/1.4 and 75/2.5 and it is a very flexible combo.

Stuart Richardson

I got a 35mm summarit a month or two ago, and I have to say that I am also very impressed. It is just as good as the summilux at similar apertures. I have a very hard time telling the difference.
For example, here are two photos, one taken with the 35/1.4 ASPH, the other with the 35/2.5. I believe both are at 2.5. Slightly different crops due to being lazy with lining up the film in the scanner...

Summarit first, then summilux, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference without me saying so. They have slightly different distortion (I think the summarit has more), but really things are very close. If I had to have one, it would be the summilux for the speed, but I now often just grab the summarit for daylight shooting since it is so much smaller and lighter.

Double Negative

Not Available
Stunning photos, especially the one of the girls and the butterfly. Seems that once people get over the stigma of these "budget lenses" that they're actually very good. I don't recall anyone ever saying "these lenses stink" in any way.

Granted, they're not the fastest lenses. But there's a LOT to be said for slower glass... They're often ridiculously sharp, from wide open. Not to mention they're smaller, cheaper and lighter. :p

I love my fast glass though, and the Summarits wouldn't be my first choice, personally... But as a second lens, definitely. YMMV, of course.