The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm really impressed with the M8 detail/Printing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well folks i just got my Epson 3800 a couple weeks ago and making prints for the Carmel workshop . Now i seen a couple prints from the M8 but damn i am making 17 x22 inch wide prints and there just singing with detail. Now I am impressed i knew my files are good but not this good. I wonder when they would truly fall apart because it is not happening at 17x22 in any way shape or form. BTW this Epson rocks the house

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah,
Get yourself some of that Harman Gloss 17 by 25
Rocks indeed!
-bob

TimWright

I am in love with Ilford Gold Silk Fiber. Different texture from the Harman Gloss and much less costly. YMMV

Woody
Agree completely about the Ilford. I use it, the Harman and the new Epson Exhibition Fibre but I really like the Ilford. Also the fact that it is half the others doesn't hurt.

I have been printing on my Epson 7880 upto 24" x 30" and the M8 files hold up amazingly.

Guy Mancuso

Looks like another to put on the list. I made 6 prints today with no mistakes . i can't tell you how much a improvement this is to me than my past printing experiences. I am dead to nuts with monitor and printer. So important to be color managed correctly, otherwise you are just fighting a ghost.

neils

Another vote for Ilford Gold fiber Silk. I first tried the Harmon and loved it in 8.5x11, looked at the price of the 13x19 and YIKES, ordered some Ilford.

I've made prints on each and I can really barely tell them apart. Worth twice the price? Only you can decide.

I'm sure if you like Harmon you'll like Ilford.

Neil

M

matmcdermott

Anyone have a source for the Harman Gloss 17x25? At the normal places I buy paper it's not even listed as being out of stock, it's not even on offer.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Guy, I'm thinking about switching to Epson (I'm now printing with a Canon ipf5000). With the 3800 you need to switch the Matt and Gloss inks right? If so is that a problem? Where did you get yours?

Guy Mancuso

Mike i got mine from B&H. You don't have to change inks out. There is a slot for the Matte ink and it just disengages when you are doing glossy and than kicks in when you are doing matte. Depending on what surface you pick. The Epson 3800 is a very nice printer

BTW there is a certain way we uprez in CS3 for making large prints. But everything is done in Cs3 no other software we use for uprezing the files

M

matmcdermott

Bob, thanks for the link. I've seen the Inkjet Art website, but must've overlooked them when searching for the paper.

Guy Mancuso

Can one purchase that action??:)

Also did you buy the prof series with the RIP?
Not really a action but a way to do it. let's see what Jack wants to do . He is on Vacation at the moment. i bought the standard package . The rip is not that great from what i was told and the profiles from Epson are pretty darn close but to do it correct you need to make a profile for each paper type. Jack made his and that is what I have. Workshop folks get them for free.

LJL

Agree completely about the Ilford. I use it, the Harman and the new Epson Exhibition Fibre but I really like the Ilford. Also the fact that it is half the others doesn't hurt.

I have been printing on my Epson 7880 upto 24" x 30" and the M8 files hold up amazingly.
Some folks may also like to test out a new fiber based, high gloss paper from Lexjet. It is their Sunset Fiber Elite 285g. It is not a baryta paper, but it does produce that air-dried, high gloss of traditional wet chemistry papers, from what I am seeing. It looks to be priced between the Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk and the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper, and maybe a bit more than the Harman Fiber Glossy FB Ai paper, but not by much. I believe the paper is made by Innova, who actually makes papers for a lot of others that just rebrand things.

Here is link to the stock and prices at Lexjet for this stuff. (I am not repping Lexjet or anything like that, but just thought to offer up some other options to folks looking for a quality paper. They also have profiles for this for most printers.)

http://tinyurl.com/6cj3z6

LJ