The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What would be a good starting lens on the M8?

rrobinson54

After buying a Leica M8 upgraded camera, I am a bit broke and am looking for a good lens to start with that won't make me a lot more broke. I am considering a used Hexanon-M 50mm, Zeiss 50mm or the Voigtlander 50mm? What would you recommend (need to spend less than $500).

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Keep in mind the 1.3x crop, and you need to think about how you will eventually fill out your lens kit, so that your first lens will fit in.

For example, will you eventually go with something like 24 / 35 / 75? Or maybe 21 / 28 / 50 / 90? I recommend that you think this through, and then pick a good lens that fits into your longer term plans.

In the $500 or less range, I would recommend that you look at the CV lenses. They are very good value for the money.

The CV 21 f4, CV 35 Nokton f1.4, and CV 75 f2.5 are all very nice lenses. I haven't used the CV 50mm lenses, but I'm sure there are some good picks in there as well.

rrobinson54

I am also considering the Konica Hexanon-M lenses, which I used to own when I had a Konica Hexar 35mm camera. However, I have read that the 50mm Hexanon lens does not focus correctly on the M8?

Are the less expensive Leica Summarit lenses worth considering also?

francishmt

I have used the 50 summarit and have to say it is very good. You could also consider the CV35 f1.4 as Mike has suggested.

jlancasterd

When I had an M8 I used a CV f3.5 28mm Color Skopar for 95% of my work. It's a tiny lens that doesn't obscure even a small part the viewfinder, and the sample I had was pin sharp with excellent contrast. You'll need a Milich coded screw to bayonet adapter to get the best out of it.

It's remarkably cheap even bought new, but used examples are also fairly common if funds are really stretched - some of them will be cascaded from people like me who've upgraded to an M9 and now 'mainline' on 35s...

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
as mentioned the 50 is really 67
also for many years I used the 35mm on my old Leica - much better 'walk around' and family lens than a 50mm IMO

So, on M8 the 28mm (35mm on M8) has been my choice. Any Leica or Voightlander would be good (the newer 28/2.8 is pricey)

Victor

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Just about any older 35 mm lens from the Summaron onwards produces stunning results on the M8. Go for Leica used.

peterm1

Check out the Zeiss 25mm ZM Biogon. I have the Leica 25 Summicron, 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH, and the 75mm Summicron, and I prefer shooting with the Zeiss on my M8. It's a fantastic lens for a (relatively) reasonable price. It is going to be reviewed within the next week at Steve Huff's website.

Peter

My vote is for a second hand Summicron 50 or 35, it is a matter of taste.
You will never regret, but, just in case, you can usually re-sell at the same price.
Cheers,
Ario