The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

approx aperture in M9?

gogopix

Subscriber
What ever happened to that estimated apperture business where light was measured by the sensor behind the little window and compared to iso and speed to 'guess' the aperture?
cant find it

Victor

carstenw

You mean it is not in the EXIF any more? Which tool are you using to look?

Search for a thread on l-camera-forum by cbretteville. He analyzed it in some depth, and probably says where the field is.

JWW

I noticed also that the M9 approx exposure values don't show up in C1 even though my M8 ones do. I used Exiftools to read both M8 and M9 exif MakerNotes and although the M8 files contain ApproxFNumber the M9 files do not (although it contains lens info). Firmware 1.002

Any reason why this should be?

With LR3 the estimated aperture is visible.
I guess that the information is available in the camera maker note but has to be decoded. LR3 does while C1 and LR2 don't.
Cheers,
Ario

carstenw

The MakerNotes is a proper field in a DNG, but it is not meant to be read by anyone except... the camera maker :) We just want to read it anyway. Anyway, sure, the S2 will have complete knowledge of aperture etc.