The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Space around objects; the leica look

4season

Audio had the 'prophet' and Harry Pearson of the ORIGINAL Absolute Sound and his followers who coined a vocabulary for audio; 'grunge', 'veiled' etc to describe what got between the real sound (i guess they meant what would be heard if you were 'there') and what electronics did. Others then looked at voltage (tubes) vs current (solid state) devices and a lot of other ways to explain.

We are way behind. We need the "Harry Pearson" of photo to at least start the process.
Sweet triodes, no!! This sort of unchecked sense of self-importance is what lead hifi shops to become Audio "Salons" (before they became nothing at all), salesmen to become "Consultants", and simply listening became "Auditioning". For all the good it's done the hobby: The marketplace is a shadow of it's 1985 self, and in the USA anyhow, the audience is aging and less diverse than it's ever been. Everyone else is hanging out at the Apple Store.

If you must draw a parallel to audio, pick a Stephen Mejias instead of an HP--please.

gogopix

Subscriber
Hmmm....

......All I see is haze, and more of it as I look further into this image; it separates the closer subjects form the further ones. However, this is a commonly accepted "tactic" for rendering the effect of increased distance in 2-D art...

Cheers,
Ah yes, ol' mother nature, up to her old tricks, putting haze in the mountains , so we think they are really far away! :ROTFL:

actually, my arms aren't quite that long for the 'reach in' effect.

However, what I really need an explanation for is the part in front, where everything is sharply in focus, yet I feel I can reach in between the orange shirt guy, and the photog (he was a bit annoying on this trek!)..

But Jack, your right, just a figment of my imagination. If I tried to reach in I would just burn my fingers on those monitor pixels...

but those of us who are 'fooled' into thinking some images actually represent a nice, wide open space, well, let us enjoy our delusions!

[just kidding, must be my poor 65 year old eyes. Even my grandkids can fool me :angel:]

regards
Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I certainly didn't mean to imply you added the haze, clearly it is a naturally occurring element. Moreover, I don't think we are saying much that's different: I accept fully that you feel as though you can reach between orange shirt guy and the photographer. I just happen to see it as a clear separation between them; a separation accentuated by the additional micro-contrast in closer orange shirt guy over the more distant photographer. Note that in the far distance, we have essentially zero micro-contrast coupled with relatively low macro contrast.

Cheers,

gogopix

Subscriber
I certainly didn't mean to imply you added the haze, clearly it is a naturally occurring element. Moreover, I don't think we are saying much that's different: I accept fully that you feel as though you can reach between orange shirt guy and the photographer. I just happen to see it as a clear separation between them; a separation accentuated by the additional micro-contrast in closer orange shirt guy over the more distant photographer. Note that in the far distance, we have essentially zero micro-contrast coupled with relatively low macro contrast.

Cheers,
I cant say I know the technical reason, but higher micro-contrast could contribute to a cleaner image, esp that part in focus. WHether there 3d, or reach in, etc. is all subjective, but for me is an important aspect of good IQ. Had not thought of the microcontrast but Leica (and Zeiss) sure spend a lot of money on the glass, so at least for some of us the result is worth it.

Is it worth 3-10 times as much? again, likely subjective.

But Hey, (OT) you are a member of the MFBD club, how do you like it?

regards
Victor

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Interesting to hear the comparisons between audio and photography. It just so happens that I own a home audio store. I am a Meridian dealer so I can get the F80 if your interested. Hell I might be willing to trade audio gear for camera gear if anyones interested.
I believe just like in audio digital is advancing. I hope that the R10 does for digital photography what the new Linn DS products has done for digital audio.

woodyspedden

Interesting to hear the comparisons between audio and photography. It just so happens that I own a home audio store. I am a Meridian dealer so I can get the F80 if your interested. Hell I might be willing to trade audio gear for camera gear if anyones interested.
I believe just like in audio digital is advancing. I hope that the R10 does for digital photography what the new Linn DS products has done for digital audio.
Tempting but $3K for a "table radio" is stiff even for a Leicaphile! That's the price of a 35 Lux!

Woody