The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Defective M9

Tim Gray

I think some bad pixels can result from getting struck by cosmic rays. So a camera/sensor/whatever can be tested fine and then shipped and this can happen during shipping. Since there cosmic rays are partially shielded by the atmosphere, there are more cosmic ray events at higher elevations. This means that during air shipping, a camera is exposed to more rays than it is while sitting at Leica HQ. So it is feasible that a camera that is tested ok develops a fault after testing but before purchase.

I'm pretty sure CMOS sensors are also vulnerable to this kind of thing. Where I think CMOS differs (as was pointed out earlier) is that if they develop a dead pixel, the whole column doesn't go out. I don't think the whole column is actually dead, it's just an artifact of how CCD's are read out. I'm pretty sure once the dead pixel is mapped out, the column will return.

I'm not saying Leica knows what they are doing. I'm just saying that this doesn't necessarily mean that they are clueless and suck at testing.

Oh, and it sucks that this happened to you (again).

V

Vivek

That would mean there are more important things to address than weather sealing.

This gamma ray explanation also would mean that the M9 (and like cameras) are not suitable for (air) travel.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's true and well documented about the cosmic ray issue with sensors, particularly at altitude. There's really not much that you can do about this in practice - I guess a lead lined bag would help although you need to be practical about all of this.

I know I've looked at this from the viewpoint as a multi-million mile frequent flyer. Not good actually since every time you fly you increase the chance of ionizing radiation affecting your tissue too. It's much worse on long haul flights vs short hops. Whether it's statistically significant is more of an issue for airline cabin staff than passengers but it is an extra risk factor for the 'c' word long term.

Tim Gray

Yes it's true for all digital cameras as far as I know. The M9 is not special here. I doubt a lead lined bag would help at all.

As long as there are pixel mapping routines available, losing one pixel out of 18 MILLION is not that big of a deal.

andrewteee

Is the problem in the center of the photo? Digilloyd (paid site) just released his ongoing review of the M9 and claims a similar problem with his M9. He explains it as something along the lines of the sensor possibly being built of two halves, and they are not mapping perfectly well. But he needs to do more research and testing to better understand it.

Lloyd

Is the problem in the center of the photo? Digilloyd (paid site) just released his ongoing review of the M9 and claims a similar problem with his M9. He explains it as something along the lines of the sensor possibly being built of two halves, and they are not mapping perfectly well. But he needs to do more research and testing to better understand it.
Mine had two lines. One in middle of the left-hand side, and another closer to, but not in the center.

bradhusick

Update: Leica received the camera on Tuesday at 10am local time and sent it back the same afternoon, to arrive today! I will report on the success/failure of the repair when I get it.

Terry

Wow,
Finger crossed that all is OK. If so Kudos due on the turn around (yes, I know no kudos on having to send it in).

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Good news. No surprise on the service. Leica is the benckmark and always has been.
Hopefully all is well with the sick camera.
It was probably just a cold and it's feeling better after a visit to the Doctor.
Looks like your in for a nice weekend...
Shooter

bradhusick

HAPPY ENDING: I just received the camera from NJ (9:30am) and the sensor problem is totally fixed. That's a 27 hour turnaround time across the country! Christian Erhardt deserves lots of kudos for this great result!

M

matmcdermott

Wow! That is fast turn around. Makes me wonder though if it'd really be that hard to integrate a user-fix for this sort of problem.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
HAPPY ENDING: I just received the camera from NJ (9:30am) and the sensor problem is totally fixed. That's a 27 hour turnaround time across the country! Christian Erhardt deserves lots of kudos for this great result!
AWESOME news Brad!

jonoslack

Congratulations Brad
I hope it stays okay
At least it sounds to me that Leica is getting their act together over this one.
:clap::clap::clap:

bradhusick

And thank you to all the GetDPI members who have been so vocally supportive throughout this episode. This is a great community.