The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New (Used) Summicron 50mm Possible Problem

I just bought a Summicron 50mm Type III Rigid from someone on RFF. I received the lens in the mail today and he had mentioned there are some cleaning marks on the front, but after closer inspection it seems like it is a fungus, and not cleaning marks. I snapped a few pics in my apartment tonight and I can't see it in the pics... what should I do. I got a good price on it, should I send to DAG to get CLA'd or is it a lost cause... I've included a pic of the front element. Other than the spots the lens is in very good condition...

1) Are these spots fungus?
2) Can this be cleaned in a CLA by DAG or another Leica dealer?
3) Is it worth going through the hassle or should I try to get my money back?

s.agar

I can't be sure from this photo whether it's fungus or not.
If it's on the outside, it may be marks from other reasons. If it's inside, it may be fungus. It may as well be small separations of lens elements, etc. Fungus usually have the leaf type appearance, with small vessel type extensions from each other (couldn't describe any better!)

From my experience with lens collection that I have, I never put an "infected" lens together with the others, or use it on any precious camera.

Seyhun

Here is a closer-up picture of the element. This marks are on the front of the element and not inside. It doesn't really look like spider webs but I think I may have to send it in for a professional opinion to DAG or Sherry...

s.agar

Outside defects don't show up in the photos most of the time. (innermost surface is more problem)

Although I don't understand what these marks are, probably not fungus. Sometimes fingerprints eat through the coating. Difficult to say from here.