The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thumb pad for M8 - DIY

Braeside

I found that even with the M8 handgrip that I felt uncomfortable trying to hold the M8 for a period of time. The problem was my thumb was slipping on the back of the camera.

A simple quick solution for me was to use a self adhesive 3M Bumpon button.

The one I used is clear and has acrylic self adhesive, it is about 1/2" diameter. Feels lovely and soft and I just positioned it where my thumb naturally rests on the rear of the camera. You can easily unstick it and reposition it as required.

Yes, I do know that there are other products available, but this for me was quick and inexpensive.

My M8 is the black chrome, so I don't worry about paint coming off, perhaps if I had an 8.2 painted black then I would not do this. :rolleyes:

Another use for the bumpon is for a softie shutter button. I used one until Luigi's nice black one arrived.;)

W

wilsonlaidlaw

David,

I have been using the square 20 x 20 x 12.5 mm Bumpons for years on my M's. I found the square ones work better than the round ones. They give you all the advantages of a Thumbs Up but leave the shoe free for a Frankenfinder or flash. With the addition of a grip, you can then use an M very easily one handed, either in landscape or portrait. When I meet other M users, I now carry a strip of these to hand out as little prezzies. I think you will now find many of the M users in the south of France with these fitted. I am a little concerned that they will mark the paint on M9's.

Wilson

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I just bought a small lot (40) of the 3M™ Bumpon™ Protective Products SJ5523 Black, 0.810 inches wide by 0.300 inches high on eBay. 40 was the smallest amount I could find. If anybody wants to try one, send me a dollar and I will get one out to you. Here's a pic:

trisberg

This is a good idea - just ordered 3M Bumpon Bumpers Blister Pack SJ5012 directly from the 3M shop. I think they are .5 inch round black bumpers. I'll let you know how they work out.

-Thomas

Nick_Yoon

Slightly OT, but does anyone have information on how the M8.2 or M9 paint would hold up to the glue used on Griptac as supplied by Cameraleather? I have some off-cuts which I was thinking of using as a non-slip thumb pad on my M9.

Braeside

David,

I have been using the square 20 x 20 x 12.5 mm Bumpons for years on my M's. I found the square ones work better than the round ones. They give you all the advantages of a Thumbs Up but leave the shoe free for a Frankenfinder or flash. With the addition of a grip, you can then use an M very easily one handed, either in landscape or portrait. When I meet other M users, I now carry a strip of these to hand out as little prezzies. I think you will now find many of the M users in the south of France with these fitted. I am a little concerned that they will mark the paint on M9's.

Wilson
Hey Wilson - great minds think alike! :thumbup:

I honestly came up with this idea quite independently but am glad that others have had similar success. I would share your concern with the possibilities of marking paint on the M9.

Leica should produce something like this, but it would probably cost £99 :p

Reynolds

Workshop Member
For what it's worth, I routinely affix a cold shoe just above the viewfinder to the left top of my M's using 3M's product called "mounting tape". I use the cold shoe for an added WA viewfinder when I use the WATE and a bit of flash. It has amazing holding power but comes off with a good pull. Any residue of glue wipes off easily. FYI

Last edited:

Reynolds

Workshop Member
The net of that last post was that the black paint is pretty good stuff. I should add, however, the white paint on the M's is not as resilient as the black. To wit, you can easily remove the white from any part of the camera (like "M9") with a painter's product called "Goof Off" and a carefully placed "Q-Tip".

jonoslack

HI David
I dunno about the add-ons, but that's a nice looking M8 you've got there:ROTFL:

I hope it's behaving itself.

all the best

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Changed my mind...the BumpOn is just too much. I got a GripTac patch from Morgan Sparks...much better!!