The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can the M8 withstand the cold?

durrIII

Can the M8 hold it's own with my M6 in the cold? I could shoot in any weather with the M6, but I don't want to press the M8 if I might damage it. Anybody have any experience in the cold with a M8? It may be raining, too.
thanks

Last edited:
M

Mango

What's going to be impacted more than anything is the battery. If you're out and about it might be a good idea to have a spare battery in your inside jacket pocket, so that it keeps warm from your body temperature.

I have found that batteries tend to lose their charge quickly in the cold.

durrIII

Thanks for the advice, but i only have one battery now and can't get a spare by the weekend. I will make that a priority tho'. Durr

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have operated the M8 at temperatures down to 0 degrees F with good results. Battery life was very short and the lower the temperature got the shorter it became. This is a fact of life with most battery systems, they suffer in the cold and in excess heat as well. Remember that the camera does has a specified operating temperature range and that there are mechanical as well as electronic components that are affected by temperature. The more one stresses any electromechanical system outside of its specifications, the more likely of something going wrong.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I can confirm that standing right next to Bob in Moab. My batteries had lots of issues but they also had a lot of use on them. So my issues where much worse than the folks on the workshop. I actually replaced them when I got home. After maybe 15 thousand frames you would wear out also. LOL