The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can the M8 withstand the rain and cold?

durrIII

Can the M8 hold it's own with my M6 in the cold? I could shoot in any weather with the M6, but I don't want to press the M8 if I might damage it. Anybody have any experience in the cold with a M8?
thanks

I had an M8 with me--outside the pack mostly, around my neck--as I climbed a 20,000' peak in the Himalaya last year. Way below freezing, blowing, snowing, sleet down lower. No issues, apart from REALLY short battery life--I kept two freshly charged ones, one in my pocket, and one in the camera.

Had it in pretty heavy monsoon rain as well. Also no problem, without any special treatment. It's definitely possible my experience is down to luck, but I felt pretty confident in the camera after that trip.

I think that a lot of things that people do to protect cameras actually do more harm than good. The reason is that most modern cameras can stand up to some degree of water on them. However, they are not sealed well enough to handle moisture/condensation (smaller molecules). Putting a camera in something that keeps water out, but allows condensation around the camera changes the cameras direct operating environment in a much different way than a few water drops on the body.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The only problems I've had with the M8 have been to do with condensation. Even then the worst case has been fogging of the rear LCD and the UV/IR filter. In my case it was in high humidity/air conditioning transitioning with a SUV in the the Caribbean but the issue would be the same with cold/warm conditions too.

Nothing unique to the M8.

One thing I would avoid is changing lenses if you transition between hot/cold.

As regards damp/wet use, I've used my M8 in pretty wet conditions and the only thing I've had to do is pat it down using a small hotel hand towel to pick up any large water drops. I think it pays to be careful around the area between the exposure dial and the body as this is where water can pool slightly and wick under the dial. I would agree with Bill that condensation/vapour is more of a concern than droplets.