The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

19mm and 28mm R lens questions

EH21

Maybe someone can answer a couple questions for me.

1) how much differences are there in the different versions of the 19mm? I have read that there is a profound difference between the newest and the older versions but is that only in the corners or all across the field? I have also read that the some prefer the look of the older one? Anyone shot both older and newer versions?

2) Can anyone tell me about the 28mm PC lens? How does it compare optically to the latest 28mm? I just bought a 28mm but realized later that a PC version was made. Whats a going price for the PC lens?

Thanks,
Eric

robsteve

Subscriber
Eric:

The older Leica 19mm is the one made in Canada. It is huge and flare prone. Probably not as good as a modern 19mm or 20mm form Canon or Nikon. The new 19mm, distinguised by made in germany and a built in filters, is a stellar lens and the top 19mm made by any manufacturer.

In regards to the 28mm you just bought compared to the 28mm shift, I have both and the 28mm Elmarit-R is the better performing lens. I see the PC lens on Ebay in the $1,600-$1,700 price range.

Robert

mark1958

Hi Eric. i just got the 28mm PC-- Schneider for Canon EOS. I was told they are the exact lenses via Schneider in NJ. Stopped down f8 (have not tested f5.6 or 4) f11, the lens gives excellent corner to corner sharpness even fully shifted. In bright sun shots there is a fair bit of CA when shifted. I have been able to correct in CS3. However, when reasonably lighted, the CA is minimal or absent. It is clearly better than the canon 24mm TSE but not quite the contax 35mm PC. I know the 28mm R (version 3) was sharp, little distortion, and great colors even at max aperture. Never had a chance to compare the two directly.

David K

Workshop Member
I've got both 28's and would agree with Robert's assessment. I got my PC from our very own forum host, Guy, but don't have much use for it anymore. If anyone's interested drop me a pm...

EH21

Just an update, I ended up with the Leica 28mm ROM and had a chance to use it. It's a wonderful lens on my DMR.

robsteve

Subscriber
I have never been disappointed with the results from the Leica 28mm. It and the 19mm are probably Leica's best wides in the R range.